Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:30 am 

Hi i posted this in a reply in the general section but it is probably more appropriate to put it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSYCD6fUD0

it is the raw output from ipi studio, the only processing done was to covert it to fbx in motionbuilder
I did have to stop ipi a couple of times to correct the misdetection of the legs when they cross but that isn't
hard to do

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:30 am 

That's pretty cool! Just curious but what's your workflow for getting this into LW? Is it a straight .bvh import or are you retargeting to a rig through Motion Builder or Animeeple?

I'm about to dive back into iPi Studio this week for a small production I'm committed to releasing next month, so I'm looking for as much advice as I can get right now. I've been working on a workflow but it's incomplete. I hope to have everything figured out this weekend so we can start working on the actual shots.

Anyway, keep posting! :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:48 pm 

Hi Greenlaw

My workflow is- import bvh from iPi into motionbuilder 5.5 standard. Characterise
Alter/adjust motions, then save as fbx and merge back to lightwave. I rely so much on motionbuilder for editing the output of ipi studio I fear I would be lost without it
What is animeeple like? if at anytime i cannot get an activation for motionbuilder from AD i may be looking for an alternative solution
I have been using the fbx for lightwave skeleton, which was posted by dave3d on CG talk some years ago and refitting it in my meshes
It works great but I fancy trying rebelhills recent fbx joint based skeleton which looks very good

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm 

Thanks for the info!

I'm currently using a skeleton exported (via FBX) from Animeeple as my base rig, but will be adding to it to make it more appropriate for our characters. Animeeple appears to work well for getting iPi .bvh retargeted to a custom rig for LightWave, but I'm still working on some workflow issues to be sure.

You can do basic mocap editing in Animeeple, like applying IK to a rig for adjusting motions, blending different mocap 'clips' to a single character, and changing the direction of a character. I've never used Motion Builder but I imagine Animeeple is a far simpler program by comparison. Animeeple seems pretty good for what it's intended for (editing Second Life character anims,) but I won't know for certain how helpful it will be for our music video project until we're done.

As an alternative, I'm also looking into LightWave's IK Boost to edit the mocap. I know some users are using it to edit and retarget mocap data, but I haven't tried that myself yet.

Re: Rebel Hill's tools and videos. I'm very thankful for his work. In two short (and free) videos he explained a lot of what I found so mysterious about FBX and Joints vs. Z-bones, and I think these lessons are going to make my next round of tests go faster and more smoothly.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]