Change font size
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Mocap for Rig Testing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 am 

This is an iPi DMC video of a session I did a few days ago. This performance will be used to help us with deformation testing for the Brudders short film.

iPi Studio: Deform Test Motion Capture

We're using the latest build but with just four PS3 cameras. We probably won't start testing six cameras until after we finish our film.

Some jittering is still present here even though I used one pass of the new Jitter Removal. One problem I've had with the Jitter Removal is that it's very aggressive with small intended motions. Because of this I'm going to avoid using it for most of the motions in our short film. Hopefully the jitter problem gets resolved in time for our next project. I think the level of Trajectory smoothing her was 2.

One curious problem with this test: during 'the twist' motion, the feet become 'unfixed' and rotate with the body. However, the feet and hips seem to be tracking fairly well during 'the circle walk'.

Equipment used for this test: one HP Pavilion Elite computer with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 card and a SATA3 secondary drive dedicated to video capture, four Playstation 3 Eye cameras and four active USB repeater cables. With this gear, we were able to easily capture four synchronized streams of 640 x 480 video at 60 fps, fast enough to eliminate most motion blur problems. (Compare with our old equipment used for the Sword Test, which struggled to do four streams at 30 fps.) Calibration with the new computer takes less that 10 minutes, and tracking takes about 2 to 3 seconds per frame. (Tracking speed depends on the graphics card. Upgrading to a GTX 480 or better should improve the speed significantly.)

Overall, I'm very pleased with the new software. Keep up the great work guys! :)

For more information about the Brudders movie, visit our website at www.littlegreendog.com.

Enjoy!

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm 
iPi Soft

Thanks for great feedback!

Greenlaw wrote:
Some jittering is still present here even though I used one pass of the new Jitter Removal.

One way to reduce jitter is to use 6 cameras (if you don't have much space, you can install all 6 in semi-circle). More cameras = more information = less jitter.

Configurable jitter removal for body parts (e.g. hands) will be implemented by mid-December. Right now our team is traveling to Japan, and it is not easy to implement such complex features on the road.

Greenlaw wrote:
One curious problem with this test: during 'the twist' motion, the feet become 'unfixed' and rotate with the body.

This is a limitation of current version (not enough degrees of freedom). More accurate foot tracking is not easy to implement, so it is not coming soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm 

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure my current system will handle six cameras, but I'll try five first and see how it goes. I'm ordering the fifth camera and USB cable today.

Michael Nikonov wrote:
This is a limitation of current version (not enough degrees of freedom). More accurate foot tracking is not easy to implement, so it is not coming soon.

Understood. So far this problem seems to be a rare, and this case in particular should be fairly easy to correct in my 3D application.

Looking forward to the new configurable jitter removal.

Have a good trip guys!

Greenlaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm 

Auto-updated to Build 112 this morning. I see in the release notes that iPi has added these fixes and features:

* Improved accuracy. Fixed bugs in jitter removal algorithm.
* Configurable jitter removal options for body parts.
* New export option for MotionBuilder-friendly BVH.

Just what I've been waiting for. Awesome work guys!

I'm re-tracking the test file with this build for direct comparison. First tracking pass should be done in about 15 minutes. I'll post the results later today.

Also, we added an SSD to the computer. djtaylor reported that an SSD is allowing his i7 quad core sytem to capture from six PS3 cameras at full res and speed, so hopefully we'll see the same here. I'll do a similar performance using the six camera setup this weekend for another round of comparisons.

Thanks for all your hard work over the holidays guys!

Greenlaw

Edit: I just finished my first test using the new Configurable Jitter Removal and the results are sooooo much better! I want to take some time finding the optimal settings for this performance and then I'll post a new video.

Of course the real test will be when I apply this build to the actual Brudders mocap, where the previous build's Jitter Removal was hammering out too much detail. I can't wait to see how this latest version handles those performances. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]