Change font size
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:34 am 

Hi all. I haven't posted on here for quite a while as I've been busy using iPiSoft in earnest rather than just trying to figure out how it worked :) I've now finished my film so I thought I'd link it up here to give an example of what results can be achieved using iPiSoft. It's a 74 minute long film, and almost every gesture performed by the characters are motion captures using a 3 camera Logitech rig. There is a gunfight scene and a fist fight scene near the end, if you don't want to watch all the film ^_^

You can get the YouTube playlist and/or the full HD download from here:
http://www.clearskiesthemovie.com

Gunfight is at the start of part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng9VWkhhaQg
Fight scene is at the start of part 6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTqbAfmC-3I

Being able to use motion capture hugely improved the immersion and the energy that I could put into the proceedings, I'm extremely grateful to Michael and the iPiSoft crew for the opportunity they afforded me. I intend on updating my tutorial soon, and also making a video guide to show my setup and workflow, from studio floor to finished footage.

-Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm 

Huge and awesome work you have here =) !

I am curious to know your workflow with Source, do you export directly as a smd using iPi Desktop, then reimport the smd and rework the animation in a 3D soft, or else?

Concerning the fight scene, how did you do since the software can't handle two actors? Precise timing and choregraphy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm 

Ian, welcome back!

Wow, that's quite an achievement. I glanced at one one of the segments and it looks really cool. I'm at work now so I'll try to watch the whole show at home tonight.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:22 pm 

JeanDellac wrote:
I am curious to know your workflow with Source, do you export directly as a smd using iPi Desktop, then reimport the smd and rework the animation in a 3D soft, or else?

I'm writing up a guide for Michael, covering my exact setup and the workflow from setting up the mocap rig to getting the animations into the HL2 models, which should help :) But a short version of what I did was this:
Process the capture
Set up my takes
Import the target HL2 model (already decompiled using the CannonFodder tool)
Export the takes as an SMD
Pick the smallest mdl file that is applicable to the model as you can, because recompiling breaks the animations already in it :(
Edit this mdl's qc file to include your smd animations
recompile the qc into a new mdl

I didn't rework any animation, I'm clueless about that. Sometimes I changed the speed and the ramp in FacePoser to work around issues, but otherwise what you see onscreen is the output straight from iPiSoft :)

Quote:
Concerning the fight scene, how did you do since the software can't handle two actors? Precise timing and choregraphy?

I blocked the fight out with a friend, but when it came to the mocap, I had to act both parts in sequence, so I was fighting nothing and reacting to being hit by nothing :) Quite a challenge! With enough takes and some constructive camera angles, it all hung together in the end.

-Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm 

Greenlaw wrote:
Ian, welcome back!

Wow, that's quite an achievement. I glanced at one one of the segments and it looks really cool. I'm at work now so I'll try to watch the whole show at home tonight.

G.

Hallo again :) Glad to see you're still here, hope you enjoy the film :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 am 

Oh, then it's quite amazing if you had everything out directly of iPi's software :)!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]