Change font size
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 pm 

It was a ton for work and it took a month of sleep deprived evenings but the sneak preview of Happy Box is finally live at Gothtober.com! To see it, go to the Gothtober website and click on the 29th.

For those who need more info, Happy Box is our first Brudders 'mini film' and our second short film for Gothtober (the first was Hello Frankenstein.) Gothtober is an annual Halloween inspired internet event featuring short films, animation, slide shows and recipes from a variety of crazy people (a.k.a., artists) for the entire month of October.

The reason I'm calling this a 'preview' version is because I had to cut some corners to make our October 29th deadline.

Most noticeably missing is the lipsync animation—I simply ran out of time to finish it so I decided to leave out the lipsync completely because it looked weird to have only half the film with lipsync animation. Arguably, the show still plays well without it.

There are also a few 'bugs' that need to be fixed, props that need to be properly finished, a few FX added, and I really wish to re-render the entire project in HD. (My little render farm lost half it's capacity last week so I wound up rendering this project at 320 x 180; surprisingly this 'web res' actually holds up when scaled to double-size (640 x 360) for Gothtober.)

The final release version of Happy Box, with lip sync animation, bug fixes and other improvements should appear at our website later in November. In the meantime, please enjoy this exclusive Gothtober preview!

Now, I beg your indulgence as I take a moment send out heartfelt thanks to my friends:

To JP and Cristin for presenting Gothober every year. Gotober has been a great motivator in getting me to do 'big things' just for fun.

To the guys at work, for their curiosity and encouragement, and for just being a lot of fun to hang out with.

To the Lightwave and iPi Soft user and developer communities for their interest and support. Especially to Cageman and Rebel Hill for their technical advice and assistance in setting up my motion capture pipeline.

And finally, extra special thanks and love to my wife Alisa and my daughter Sienna Kai for putting up with all my nonsense. I could not have done this without you guys.

Come Monday morning, I'm taking a break and going back to work for a while. :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:11 pm 

Oh, and in case anybody was wondering...

All of Happy Box was originally 'puppeted' using a single Kinect, and much of the action was reshot using dual Kinects when that beta feature became available in iPi Desktop Motion Capture about three weeks ago. The retargeting was done using Motion Builder (mostly required because of the tricky 'feline' rigs.)

Modeling was done using Modo and Lightwave 3D, textures painted using 3D Coat, and rigging, shading, lighting and rendering was done using Lightwave 10.1. Compositing was done in Fusion 6.2, and video editing and sound mixing using Vegas Pro 10.

G.

Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 pm 

My friend JP posted a nice blog entry for Happy Box here:

Happy Madness with Brudders • Day 29

G.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 am 
iPi Soft

I just watched it. Nice! I liked the plot twist with Sister's Happy Box. And the Brudders characters look very cute in 3D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 am 
iPi Soft

By the way, the Gothtober website is a bit confusing. I spent some time figuring out that I have to click on "29"/"SIZZLING SCABS" to watch Happy Box movie. Maybe you should post some brief explanation somewhere (maybe in your blog?) about what to click to watch the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 am 

Hi Michael,

I'm glad you enjoyed the preview version of Happy Box!

The Gothtober website is a Halloween themed 'advent calendar' starting with October 1. Each day a new 'treat' is unlocked and you are not supposed to know what will happen when you click the button. This is why it's not clear what is 'hidden' under the 29th. This is completely intentional.

After Halloween is over (which is tonight,) I'll be free to post Happy Box on a regular web page. This will probably happen in a few weeks as I'm currently adding lipsync animation and working on a few bug fixes for Happy Box. The final version will be posted on the Little Green Dog website and YouTube channel later in November or early December.

BTW, I'd like to thank you and iPi Soft for getting the two Kinect beta out a few weeks ago. Even in its beta state, this feature made a huge difference in the quality of my motion capture data. The results were so good that I decided to re-capture most of the motions, and the extra time I spent working it into the project was minimal and well worth the effort.

G.

Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 am 

HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That was flipping GREAT man! I loved how it cut to her 'reality' of the toy saw. Fantastic!

Pat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm 

Thanks Pat. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:42 pm 

Hi,

Very Nice Work, Thanks for Sharing. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:13 pm 

You made a good job, that made me laugh :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next