Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am 

We built a new render farm recently and to test it we re-rendered 'Happy Box' in HD. You can see the FINAL 'final version' here:

On the Website: Brudders in 'Happy Box' in HD

On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5utNHl98c&feature=plcp

Now we can start rendering our next mocap movie. (Yes, I know, "It's about time.") :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm 

Nice! I like the look, with the simple textures but high quality rendering (is that subsurface scattering?), I think that comes across much more in this version. It almost looks like extraordinarily smooth stop motion, as though you had done this with little models.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:24 pm 

montanamocap wrote:
Nice! I like the look, with the simple textures but high quality rendering (is that subsurface scattering?), I think that comes across much more in this version. It almost looks like extraordinarily smooth stop motion, as though you had done this with little models.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Yes, the higher resolution did bring some detail that I didn't expect to be noticeable even in HD. I'm glad we were finally able to do this version. Believe it or not, the original 'Gothtober' version from 2011 was rendered at 320 x 180 and bumped up to 640 x 360. This was because our old render farm completely died when we started our final rendering and, with less than a week to meet our deadline, we wound up rendering the entire short with only two desktops and a laptop. Eek! :)

By comparison, our four new 'render only' computers allowed us to re-render or the entire short at 1280 x 720 in just a couple of days. These machines were also a lot quieter and stayed a lot cooler. Our next short film is much more complicated than 'Happy Box' was and now I feel confident we can actually get this done.

Glad you brought up "stop motion". Because of our tight deadline, we rendered the original version of 'Happy Box' on twos to cut our render time in half. A side effect was a slightly stuttering 'stop-motion' look which we liked very much so we decided to keep it for the HD version.

For our next short film, we're trying some techniques which should pushing the 'stop motion' look even further. Will post more info as we get closer to finishing.

G.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 pm 

BTW, we're going to upload to Vimeo soon, which I think should look even better.

G.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 pm 

Greenlaw when you upload dear? i am waiting ..................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 am 

Sorry, been too busy working on the next film. I'll try to make time for it this week. :p

G.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]