Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:17 am 

Hi,
I would like to know how to apply the motion capture to a character in Motion Builder, and then transfer that into Maya. I made a very quick test using the mia character in Motion Builder, characterizing the rig from Ipisoft and then transferring the movement to the mia... but the orientation of the movement was completely wrong (for instance: character's arm on mocap moves to the left, in mia moves back). I was wondering, could it be because the mocap didnt start on T-pose?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 pm 

What does Maya Import? If it exports FBX then Export your rigg and transefer the ipi motion to it, export as a bvh if you have to and a MEL script to import it into MAYA like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:47 pm 

eniosan wrote:
Hi,
I would like to know how to apply the motion capture to a character in Motion Builder, and then transfer that into Maya. I made a very quick test using the mia character in Motion Builder, characterizing the rig from Ipisoft and then transferring the movement to the mia... but the orientation of the movement was completely wrong (for instance: character's arm on mocap moves to the left, in mia moves back). I was wondering, could it be because the mocap didnt start on T-pose?

There are a few ways to get the data into Maya, and they should be pretty straightforward. What I do is export an MB compatible .bvh to Motion Builder and retarget to my character rig the usual way (dragging the character template over the hips joint and then plotting the data to the control rig.) After editing, plot the data down to your base skeleton and export an FBX for Maya (or any program that can read FBX.) You can also retarget within iPi DMC using FBX or DAE, and then export an FBX to import directly into Maya, bypassing Motion Builder entirely.

If you're looking for specific tutorials about retargeting in Motion Builder for other applications, look for training videos at 3D Buzz or Digital Tutors. The info there is very helpful in getting started with MB.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm 

THANKS!!!!
I thank you both for the help!
But just one thing... does it has to start from a T-pose?

Keep it up!
e.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 am 

Yes, T-Pose is very important for retargeting. Both the mocap data and the character rig need to share the same starting point for the joints to be properly moved, otherwise you will have slipping feet at best and crazy contortions at worst. Also, the joints in your target rig need to be rotated at zero when all the joint axes are aligned. This doesn't mean the joints have to be zeroed out in the T-Pose, just read at zero when the joints are aligned. If that sounds confusing (it did to me at first,) there is a good video about retargeting and working with joints and FBX at Rebel Hill's website. The final animation/rendering package he uses is Lightwave (like me,) but the information about the joints setup is universal when it comes to working with FBX and motion capture in Motion Builder and it's worth a look even if you use Maya as your destination package (which he and I also use.)

Here's the link: http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

The FBX videos are free and there are five parts in that series but, if I remember correctly, it's mainly the first and possibly the second video that may interest you.

Good luck!

BTW, when we complete our short film here at Little Green Dog, we plan to create some iPi DMC tutorial videos for Motion Builder and other applications. We'll make the announcement in these forums.

G.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 am 

Hi Greenlaw,
THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Do you have any dates as of when you will be releasing your short film and the tutorials?
Have a great day!
e.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 am 

Not a fixed date; it's difficult to schedule projects like this when you have a job that has unpredictably long hours and a family to raise. It was also a problem that there is very little information available about using 'home brew' mocap in a production; it's one thing to do a few random demo animations but something else entirely to get specific motions on unique characters in the context of a larger productions. This shouldn't be surprising; iPi Software launched a whole new field of personal media production when they released iPi DMC and there have been a lot of growing pains for early adopters.

That said, I feel like a lot has happened in the past nine months in software development and workflow improvements, and things are coming together quickly. I think this has been true for other artists as well, considering the number of personal 'mocap' films that have appeared lately.

Well, that was the long answer. The short answer is that we expect to have 'Pooper' completed by end of this summer (2011) and certainly before next 'Gothtober' (October.) Any tutorials I might publish on the topic will have to wait until after we're done with this short. (Hopefully before we start working on our next one.) :)

G.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]