Change font size
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 am 

Hello to everyone. Downloaded the trial and bought Kinect 1 for the tests. I liked the program and the result, but I still need to fix a lot.

Is it much cleaner to grab legs if I buy Kinect 2? Much if in percentage?

I understand that two cameras are needed to turn the body, but at least the legs are stable for basic movements?

P.S. I want to buy Express to explore more. Should this be done in your opinion?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:58 am 

Kinect1 means Kinect for xbox360?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 am 
iPi Soft

Yes, Kinect 1 and Kinect for XBOX 360 is the same device.
Kinect 2 has more clean depth data and of higher resolution. Also, it's less affected by the sunlight and mutual interference (when using multiple cameras). So the accuracy of tracking is better, especially for smaller parts like feet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:35 am 

Yeah, naming is confusing:

1. Kinect 1 = Kinect for XBox 360.

2. Kinect for Windows is similar to the above but has 'Near Mode', good for scanning small objects and face tracking (with other software.)

3. Kinect 2 = Kinect for XBox One

4. The latest version is Azure Kinect, which is a completely new and different device. This one records the highest quality yet.

For iPi Mocap Studio, options 1 & 2 delivers the same quality. Option 2 gives you a few extra features useful for adjusting the image quality but it's not critical. Mocap quality is okay. 1 is what I used for the early Brudders projects like Happy Box; 2 is what I used for the Brudders music video excerpt, and for VFX in a few SyFy channel feature films.

With option 3, the mocap data is less noisy which means less jittering. This is what I've been using recently and I've been mostly satisfied with it. I used it for a little VFX work a few years ago.

Option 4 is the highest quality depth sensor available for iPi Mocap Studio. I got a set of these last week and I'm setting aside time to test them this weekend. I'll post more info on my progress shortly after.

Re: 1 sensor vs 2 sensors, there is a HUGE difference in quality. Here's more info:

Using 1 sensor in iPi Mocap Studio results in higher quality than using 1 sensor with Kinect SDK (realtime capture) because of the software's separate tracking process. However, it's prone to the same occlusion errors you get with using single sensors in general. A single sensor is adequate for 'standing in place' performances, with limited arm movements.

Using 2 or more sensors removes the occlusion issue, allowing for more accurate recordings for walking, spinning, jumping, and other complex movements. I highly recommend using 2 sensors; the results are significantly better even when using the old Xbox 360 Kinect.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:00 pm 

Another problem. Can I use Kinect 1 and Kinect 2 to use at the same time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 pm 

No, the data formats for each type of Kinect sensor is different and not compatible with each other.

For example, you can use multiple Kinect 1 sensors (a.k.a., XBox 360) together, and you can use multiple Kinect 2 sensors (a.k.a., Kinect for XBox One) together, but you can't mix Kinect 1 with Kinect 2 sensors.

Since 'Kinect For Windows' is almost identical to Kinect 1, these two are compatible with each when you use identical settings.

Just to cover all bases with the Microsoft sensors, Azure Kinect sensors are only compatible with other Azure Kinect sensors.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:01 am 

Greenlaw wrote:
Yeah, naming is confusing:
4. The latest version is Azure Kinect, which is a completely new and different device. This one records the highest quality yet.

Hi !

Could you test Azure Kinect ? How are results compared to Kinect v2 ?
Thanks

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]