Change font size
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:36 pm 

I just ordered 6 PS eyes, and 2 motion controllers. and 3 long usb chords with 3 USB hubs (I heard 2 USB per hub for bandwidth issues)
I'm gunna place them around room on walls with velcro.

I have a question about tracking hands/feet/head though

Can I attach 2 PS moves to my feet, to track foot pitch/yaw/rotation. Would it track me standing on my tippy toes if I attached them to sides of shoes?

and for hands, I was going to follow a tutorial to make the ps moves into gloves.

Now all thats left is tracking head/face. I was thinking instead of using ipisoft, I could simutaneously use an iphone attached to a helmet, and track my facial expressions/head movement, then combine the (body,hands,feet) tracking with (head,facial tracking) in Maya / Motion builder. Has anybody tried doing this? Do you think this would work well or would the data be out of sync somehow? There's alot of options of recording face/head data with iphone now.

If thats not a good idea, and feet tracking doesnt work, then I guess the best option would be 3 PS moves, (2 for hands, 1 for head) then tracking facial data seperate later.

(I heard you can only use 4 PS moves per computer? is that true?)

Trying to figure out the whole situation here and workflow, anybody more experinced I'd apperciate any info you share!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
Tracking feet with PS Moves is not supported.
A single Bluetooth adapter generally has no problems with handling 4x PS Moves. In theory, it can handle up to 7 devices but we didn't encounter that in practice yet. Probably this is limited by the total data volume produced by connected PS Moves.
To work with more than 4x PS Moves (say, for multiple actors) you can use distributed recording and connect some devices to one PC and others to the second PC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm 

konokoknk wrote:

Can I attach 2 PS moves to my feet, to track foot pitch/yaw/rotation. Would it track me standing on my tippy toes if I attached them to sides of shoes?

As vmaslov explained, PS Move can't be used for tracking feet in Mocap Studio. That said, iPi should be able to track a performer standing on tippy toes. However, the bend will only be at the ankle joint with no bend in the toe joints. You'll need to add that additional bend in your target animation program.

Also, if this is a long sustained pose, you'll probably want to constrain the feet for that range so it doesn't 'wiggle' noticeably. This should be done in your animation program too.

Quote:
and for hands, I was going to follow a tutorial to make the ps moves into gloves.

Some users do that with success. I would try it without first just so you understand how the device works and what the strengths and limitations are. FWIW, I just hold the devices in my hands and it works fine. The advantage is that I can control mocap studio remotely this way. If you do decide to just hold the devices, the trick it to hold it firmly even as you rotate and bend your wrist. This doesn't mean you need to grip it tightly, you just need to keep it from rotating loosely in your palm--for accuracy, you want the device to record only the rotation of the wrist and nothing more.

Quote:
Now all thats left is tracking head/face. I was thinking instead of using ipisoft, I could simutaneously use an iphone attached to a helmet, and track my facial expressions/head movement, then combine the (body,hands,feet) tracking with (head,facial tracking) in Maya / Motion builder. Has anybody tried doing this? Do you think this would work well or would the data be out of sync somehow? There's alot of options of recording face/head data with iphone now.

To me, this sounds a bit ambitious, but if you can make it work, definitely share the results.

A more realistic setup (in my opinion,) is to use another PS move attached to the head to capture the head rotation, and then do the face and fingers capture in a separate pass. I'm not using face capture but I've been experimenting with hand/finger capture with another system using a Leap Motion device, with the intention of adding this motion to the iPi mocap data afterwards. (I haven't gotten quite that far with these tests yet.) You can do the same with face capture software.

For the head, I currently use a bicycle helmet with the PS Move device attached using a velcro strap and a small foam pad. This rig works great for head capture! If you do a search in this forum, you should be able to find a pic of this rig. Side note: I got a GoPro strap a while back to use for PS move head tracking rig but haven't tried it yet; for now, the bike helmet has been perfect.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm 

As for combining the motions created with iPi Mocap Studio, I used Motion Builder for the longest time with great success. I don't use Maya in my personal projects but I've been importing my iPi > Motion Builder mocap data to LightWave. (My short films and feature film VFX work was done this way.)

More recently, I switched to iClone 7 Pipeline to mix and edit my iPi Mocap Studio data for LightWave. I'd go into more detail about the new workflow but, TBH, I've been sidetracked with work so I'm a bit behind in my iPi > Reallusion > LightWave testing. When I'm able to make more time for it, I'll post new results using my latest gear and workflow.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]