Change font size
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 pm 

Just got my second Kinect yesterday and in starting to use it I made the test calibration recording and now it's taking a LONG time to download the records from the slave (wirelessly -- I could wire it up I suppose to speed up the process if necessary).

There is a "Close" button at the bottom but after waiting 8 minutes I'm afraid to do it. Do I really need to download these records? I don't need to see the ones from the main so I'm not sure why I'd need these.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:54 am 
iPi Soft

Hi

In distributed recording, each PC records a video file with only devices attached to it. To get an .iPiVideo file containing data from all devices those individual records need to be merged. By default, Recorder tries to do this automatically for you by downloading records from slaves to a master PC and running merge after that.

However, if you're in the middle of recording session and cannot wait for download/merge to complete you can do this manually later. Just cancel the download in Recording Results dialog. At your convenience, collect individual recordings from slaves - e.g. copy them to an external drive. Then put all them onto a master PC and run the Merge tool (found in the toolbar on the Home screen). All files of a distributed recording have the same name but different extensions - .master.iPiVideo, .slave0.iPiVideo etc.

You're right that you can usually boost download speed by using cable network for PCs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am 

Yeah, don't bother with auto-merging if you're using wi-fi. Recording from multiple devices generate too much data for Wifi merging, and IMO, merging this way is not worth it if you just want to 'quickly' check your data.

If you need to check your data after recording, your computers really should be connecting via network cables. For me, the merging process seems to take only a few seconds when using cables. Then I can check if I'm not confident about the take, and move forward to the next one.

Also, I suggesting recording shorter takes. Some new users will let iPi run forever and create monstrously huge files. Multiply that data by the number of recording devices, and no wonder there are efficiency problems. Extra large files are also more difficult to manage inside Mocap Studio, and a big waste of resources if there's also a large amount of unusable data inside it.

What I typically do is record a specific action, maybe do a couple of extra variations or 'takes', and stop recording. Then I immediately log info about the take in a spreadsheet. This make is so much easier to find exactly what you need later when you're tracking motion, especially if you're recording for multiple characters and many scenes. The shorter recordings make it easier to find and mark your takes, and leaves a lot more RAM available in your graphics card and CPU for processing.

Rehearsing your motions a few times before recording is good too...that helps you from recording a lot of junk data.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]