Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 am 

Hi all,

Today, upon firing up DMC version 1.0.0.87, an automatic update to version 1.0.0.89 was done _without_ requiring my consent as had always been. Furthermore, with version 1.0.0.89 installed (against my will) I can no longer open DMC without an active Internet connection. I imagine that this is all a small unforeseen mistake that will be fixed in the next release. This is just a heads up ;)

Cheers,

Adolfo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 pm 

Really? That sucks.

Its a good thing I didn't update mine. It will be pointless to use DMC if it has to connect to the internet every time.

Mr. Nikonov should fix this very soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:23 pm 

I agree. I'm going to be using the iPi DMC in my garage and I'm not sure my laptop will connect to my access point from there.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 am 

Hi there again,

I´d really like to see a statement on this from one of the iPi devs. Today I was once again upgraded without consent to a more recent version of DMC (1.0.0.90 in this case). I think that it is _very_ important to let the user decide what version of DMC he or she wishes to use, and when is a good time to upgrade. Here´s two good reasons off the top of my head:

- DMC is still in beta testing, so if regressions are introduced in features that are a must for a user, the software should not render itself unusable until the next upgrade. Notice that this has actually happened to us with DMC 1.0.0.86, which we never used, and is currently happening with iPiRecorder. Fortunately ,we´re still on an older version of iPiRecorder that does not auto-enforce upgrades.

- Users like myself that are trying to perform tests under controlled conditions like to have as few free variables as possible, i.e, use the same subject, same lighting conditions, same camera setup, same video codec, _same_ software version

One additional question. Does the end-user agreement that one has to agree upon imply accepting such kind of automatic upgrades? I did not get that impression, but then again, IANAL.

Hoping to read something on the subject in the near future. Best,

Adolfo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:07 pm 
iPi Soft

Auto-update only happens after you confirm that you want to auto-update, with the following dialog:

http://www.ipisoft.com/images/autoupdate.png

We performed additional verification recently to make sure this works as expected.
Could it be that you overlooked this dialog?

You do not need active internet connection to start iPi Studio. I have iPi Studio on my laptop and I regularly use it on the go, without any internet connection. You only need active internet connection during installation of iPi Studio (even if you already have .NET Framework and other prerequisite components installed).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 am 

Hmmm, this is strange. Up to version 1.0.0.37 (can't remember if inclusive or not), I was always prompted with that dialog you show. However, more recent versions don't display the dialog and automatically start the download of the upgrade (which is why it ends up requiring an internet connection). It seems that this is only happening to me. No other users have reported similar behavior on the forum. I wonder why...
Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for an explanation and I'll post back if I find something new.

Cheers,

Adolfo.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]