Change font size
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First doubts.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:54 pm 

Did not get the software working for me.I know iam doing something wrong.
By the way if the current 30 day version support more than one camera .
please tell me How do we monitor Those .
I am sorry to say that the help was not enough for me , to better understand the process of calibration and capture.
Would you Guys send a single more detailed tutorial, step by step :
Sorry if this is very elementar, if someone succeeded to work with the current help as basis, but i am sure more tutorials would not harm.
What about a video with the workflow , instead of result.
congratulations on this amazing software.

L.Eduardo

Post subject: Re: First doubts.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:22 pm 

I agree there needs to be a walk through video. With what things to look out for on setting it up. My first video is so dark in iPi studio its hard to see what is going on. It looked fine when it recorded. It can't seem to find the actor correctly. It thinks one of the arms is folded when its in the T pose.
Processing time on my system looks to be about 7 seconds per frame at 160x120 uncompressed video. Xvid Compressed video was useless.
Tips tutorials a manual that was correct would be much appreciate.

Donny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 pm 

Let me jump in here and say I've been testing iPi DMC for a few months now. Once you work out some basic issues, the system works very well. I'll see what I can do to contribute an in-depth tutorial.

In the meantime, here's a super-simplified basic multi-camera outline (Part 1):

1. Getting the cameras:
Ideally, use two (up to four) matched cameras that come wide wide-angle lenses. That's why web cameras are suggested, because they typically come with wide-angle lenses.

2. Determining the field of view of the cameras:
Use "iPi Camera Calibration Tool" to determine the field of view of your cameras. If they are matched cameras, you should only have to do this for one camera, since the others should, in theory, match.
The reason you want to do this calibration is that sometimes you'll want to tell iPi DMC what the field of view is, instead of having iPi figure this out for you.

3. Setting up your cameras:
Set up your cameras in your space in such a way that they will NOT move during the duration of the calibration recording and the mocap recording. Even a small bump to a camera can ruin a carefully calibrated setup. Typically, I set up my cameras about 2 meters high, but I think the more important issue is that the cameras be able to see as much of the action as possible without having to be moved every time.

4. Recording your calibration pass:
It has been recommended that you darken the space prior to shooting the calibration pass. If this isn't possible, you can adjust the recorded footage darker in an editing program (or in a program like After Effects, for example). The important thing here is that the tracking marker (a small bare-bulb from a flashlight, for example) be bright enough relative to its surroundings so that it doesn't get confused by anything light in the background. Move around your calibration space with your calibration marker in such a way to cover the "volume" of your mocap space. Also, don't forget to tap the ground in at least three different places with your marker - you'll use that later when setting up the ground plane in iPi DMC. Move slowly and deliberately, to avoid motion blur. The marker may not be visible to all cameras at all times, but iPi resolves this very well.

5. One comment about what to wear:
If you wear loose-fitting shirts or pants, this can create an inaccuracy for DMC, since the clothes can "billow-out" and separate from your body, especially when bending over or doing quick motions.

There's obviously much more to cover, at a later time. I hope this helps for now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am 
iPi Soft

Thanks for feedback. Sorry for scarce documentation.

This is very new software. Current release is tagged "Preview", this means it does not even qualify for Beta as of yet.

We are working on video tutorials but we need more time to come up with them.

You can expect this software to have much better documentation (and much better quality) in a few months from now. We are thinking about resetting trial period in the future to give our early adopters a chance to evaluate newer version of software.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:16 am 

lightdog.Still in the dark, sorry.
Thanks for the feedback.I understand this is still beta, I suppose.
I think i had less issues creating the videos than with the interface itself.
I shot 3 fixed cameras for calibration using the lamp, like it is recomended in the help,butI am only able to
open one of the videos and do not know what to do after I load it .
I am curious about How did you load the other cameras videos.
Also using only one camera I try hard to align the actor , but the result of my mocap looks always , like a crazy ragdoll.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:01 am 
iPi Soft

Your calibration video should look like this:

http://www.ipisoft.com/downloads/video/sample_calibration_video.avi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:04 am 

emihich,

Did you use iPi Recorder to record your videos? From your post, it sounds like you have separate video files for each camera. iPi DMC requires you to have one video file with all views combined. This is what you would obtain with iPi Recorder. If you have separate video files, you'll need to combine them into one (there is additional info on how to do this elsewhere in the forum).

For single camera footage, I think the present limitation is that the actor can be moving arms + upper body, but must be standing still (that was the case a while back and I haven't tested single camera video in a while, perhaps Michael N. can clarify).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:15 am 

Well.thank you .
this is one of my mistakes, for sure.
Did not use ipi software to have a single video with all the cameras.i sincronized my videos with compositing software.
I did not havebefore, the USB cables, but I do have them now.
I will take a look at the calibration video also, and with this precious info,(Thanks again guys)I will go ahead and acomplish it.

L.Eduardo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:47 am 

I have done severals tests whith one cam, and there is always the same problem, the 3D model always have a little turn of himself and his arms are going to the back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 am 
iPi Soft

apside wrote:
I have done severals tests whith one cam, and there is always the same problem, the 3D model always have a little turn of himself and his arms are going to the back.

Please make sure you created proper model of actor appearance (using "Analyze Actor Appearance" button). Please see user guide for details.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next