Change font size
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: License Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:33 pm 

I have bought the software, installed it on my computer and entered the product key. I now want to use it on a different computer with better specs. I uninstalled it from the old computer and then tried to use the product key on the new computer but it said it was invalid. I understand the license is for one computer but why can't I swap to a different machine. Do I have to wipe something from the old computers registry, how does it work?. I can't wait to use it on my new computer, look forward to your response.

Post subject: Re: License Question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 pm 

Really, I didn't know that because I want to use my laptop to capture and my desktop to process. At this point I'm not even sure if my laptop will be able to capture successfully. I too may need to go to a whole new computer system. I hope not because I'm not budgeted for that!

Is there any benefit to using a 64 bit OS over a 32 bit OS with iPi Soft?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:36 am 

Recorder isn't keyed to a computer so you can use it on any machine you like. I have it on my main laptop and my workstation. It's the DMC part that uses the license key.

To transfer the license, I think you need to contact iPi Soft. My guess is that they will give you a new key and invalidate the old one. I'm not a spokeman for them though so I don't really know...contact them; they'll have the answers.

Just my opinion but I wish there was a better licensing system. I like the system for Luxology's Modo and Pigway's 3D Coat, where they allow you to install on any system, but you're only allowed to use it on one at a time. They don't require internet connection to use the software, just to initially register the key and activate it. I thought iPi Soft was using this system, but from what you're saying, I guess not. :(

Or better yet, they could give users a dongle option. (That would probably add about $100 to the cost, but I'm fine with that.)

D.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:11 pm 
iPi Soft

Enlighten wrote:
I have bought the software, installed it on my computer and entered the product key. I now want to use it on a different computer with better specs. I uninstalled it from the old computer and then tried to use the product key on the new computer but it said it was invalid. I understand the license is for one computer but why can't I swap to a different machine. Do I have to wipe something from the old computers registry, how does it work?. I can't wait to use it on my new computer, look forward to your response.

According to license agreement, one license key is intended for one computer only. But technically, we do not check this as of yet (there is no internet-based activation for the key). So the problem was in something else. Probably you misprinted the key. Please try again. If problem persists, please contact us by email.

InfoCentral wrote:
Is there any benefit to using a 64 bit OS over a 32 bit OS with iPi Soft?

For our software, there is no difference. But I recommend using 64 bit OS as it is more future-proof. The only advantage of 32 bit OS used to be better drivers, but that was long time ago (when Windows Vista was young).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:28 pm 

Michael,

Thanks for clarifying the licensing issue. I'm probably going to keep iPi Studio on my main workstation for a while, but will upgrade to a new computer maybe a year from now because my current workstation only has PCI Express 1.0 and can't take full advantage of the new Nvidia GTX 480 card (the only reason I would consider upgrading.) But it's comforting to know I can easily migrate the software to a better machine when I'm ready to do it. :)

BTW, I did some simple tests in my new shoot space last night, mainly to test if the PS3 cameras were working properly. So far so good. I like the new interface; much cleaner than the beta version was. Tonight I will finally be ready to the motion capture and tracking tests with the PS3 cameras.

FYI, to anybody who had the old 'pre-PS3 camera' version of Recorder installed and plan to use the PS3 cameras: make sure you download and install the last Recorder from the website. The 'live' update doesn't install the PS3 drivers the way the standalone installer does, and Recorder may not recognize them. After running the standalone Recorder installer, plug in the cameras and allow Windows to install the USB driver for each camera. After that, you should be good to go.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 am 

Greenlaw wrote:
FYI, to anybody who had the old 'pre-PS3 camera' version of Recorder installed and plan to use the PS3 cameras: make sure you download and install the last Recorder from the website. The 'live' update doesn't install the PS3 drivers the way the standalone installer does, and Recorder may not recognize them. After running the standalone Recorder installer, plug in the cameras and allow Windows to install the USB driver for each camera. After that, you should be good to go.

Then we don't need to install the software from Code Laboratories to get the PS3 cameras to work in Recorder?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 am 
iPi Soft

Quote:
Then we don't need to install the software from Code Laboratories to get the PS3 cameras to work in Recorder?

Yes!
Moreover, if there is Code Laboratories drivers on the computer then driver from iPi Soft cann't be installed (our install package checks presence of driver from Code Laboratories).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 pm 

Thanks, I was a little confused reading the threads. It seems like in the earlier versions that you need it installed or I was misreading something. The newest version you should not have it installed so that is even better.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]