Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: USB extension leads
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:49 am 

Hi!

I'm new here, so first of all my congratulations for this kind of tool, very happy to see something similar available also for young "homemade" studios :-)

I've all I need to make my own tests with your softwares except for USB extension leads.
To avoid to waste my money I'd like to know if I've to pay attention to some attribute about these extension leads.. I don't know.. maybe it's better to avoit buy more then 5-6mt extension leads 'cause it loses efficiensy? I can read on ebay there are model called "shielded AM FM" or "amplified".. and so on.

thank you very much for any advice.

bye!

Post subject: Re: USB extension leads
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 am 
iPi Soft

Hi!

We recommend to use active USB extender cables: 5m cables with an amplifier that looks like small 1-port hub. They seem to work well and help to extend cables to long distances (cables can be connected with each other).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:23 pm 

This is what I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

They're typically called USB Repeater Cables, and as Andrew explained, you can daisy chain them to great lengths--I think up to 5 cables, though you'd probably never need them that long. The longest I've needed was two in a chain, but I've tested up to three and it seemed to work.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:04 am 

I'm hijacking the thread, but I don't wanna make a second one about the same thing...

It's pretty hard finding active extender cables here, and online I can find them only on int'l sites, which makes the whole thing expensive. I was wondering, did anyone ever tested with "normal" extender cables (not amplified) ? did it really changed anything ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm 
iPi Soft

Earlack wrote:
It's pretty hard finding active extender cables here, and online I can find them only on int'l sites, which makes the whole thing expensive.

Strange. Normally, active USB repeater cables should be available in all local computer stores.

Earlack wrote:
I was wondering, did anyone ever tested with "normal" extender cables (not amplified) ? did it really changed anything ?

Passive cables should work well for distances up to 5 meters. You cannot daisy-chain passive cables for distances over 5 meters (this is not allowed by USB standard and does not work in practice).

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]