Change font size
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 am 

Hi guys,
could I get some advice.

I planned to get this card before knowing about this program as I plan to get a setup and upgrade to what I already have which is 256mb geforce...

The nviidia 4800 is a top of the line card with 1.5gb but is not a gaming card.

How will this affect the processing.?

I know gaming cards are geared for speed and so the Nvidia's is accuracy.

It's not going to make sense to get two cards. And Nvidia is really decent for 3D programs which is my main use. Haven't played a game in years...

here's is link-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/qua ... ,2258.html

Cheers

Harry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:16 pm 
iPi Soft

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 (a >$1000 professional card) is based on the same hardware as Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (a sub-$200 gaming card). The only difference is OpenGL graphics driver.

With Nvidia Quadro, you pay for image rendering quality in OpenGL applications like 3D MAX and Maya.

With gaming cards (Nvidia GeForce series) you pay for performance in DirectX applications.

Nvidia also artificially reduces OpenGL performance of GeForce cards by supplying special slow version of OpenGL drivers. That's how Nvidia maintains an impression of Quadro cards being "faster" then GeForce cards.

Other then being ridiculously overpriced and slow, Quadro cards have no disadvantages.

If you absolutely need high-quality rendering in 3D MAX, then Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 is not a bad choice.

If image rendering quality in 3D MAX is not very critical to you and you need high performance for image recognition applications like iPi Markerless MoCap, then GeForce GTX 480 is more cost efficient. GeForce GTX 480 provides approximately three times better performance in iPi MoCap then Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 and costs around $500.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:05 pm 

Hi, thanks for quick reply and advice.

Only 3x as fast..

So from your calculations you recon the Quadro to take up to about 2 seconds per frame.

In fairness this still doesn't sound too bad for my end use, 70mins for about 5 minutes animation is a bargain and nothing compared to 20/35mins per frame in max or Maya.

I have also just done some research on the GTX and it seems it's prone to problems because of the drivers using 3D apps

Thanks again.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]