ipisoft.com
http://forum.ipisoft.com/

About pricing and updates...
http://forum.ipisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4230
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Earlack [ Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:22 am ]
Post subject:  About pricing and updates...

Hi all,

As I'm really considering iPi Desktop's integration in my workflow, a couple things come to my mind (of course I must first make sure the soft can really do what I want it to do).

I won't debate too much on pricing itself, but as you know, for individuals and freelancers like I am, it is still an investissment.

So what could be useful to know, for those that want to invest but are a little afraid...

1/So we get updates within the same major version. OK, that's logical. But, everyone would wonder when the next major version will come... ? I'm not asking for a precise time ; I guess it will be decided feature-wise. So maybe somewhere on your roadmap, you have a rough idea of when it will be time to go 2.x ? Having an estimate of this would reassure me and others potential buyers. (Of course you'll make cheaper upgrades for previous 1.x users, right ;))

2/Speaking of roadmap, maybe a sticky in the forums with some (not all, of course) gathered infos on what is scheduled, so we don't request it every time... ?

3/I guess it's still a lot, you must be a small team, but do you guys know what support options will be available in the near future ?

Just so you know, as soon as I can make sure my mocap results will be OK, I'll buy a license. I just want to be sure where I'm heading on this.

Author:  andrew [ Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: About pricing and updates...

Quote:
1/So we get updates within the same major version. OK, that's logical. But, everyone would wonder when the next major version will come... ? I'm not asking for a precise time ; I guess it will be decided feature-wise. So maybe somewhere on your roadmap, you have a rough idea of when it will be time to go 2.x ?


Now we assume that we can release new major versions no more frequently than once a year. To be more specific: in the next six months we plan to develop the current version, ie 1.x.


Quote:
Of course you'll make cheaper upgrades for previous 1.x users, right ;)


Sure


Quote:
2/Speaking of roadmap, maybe a sticky in the forums with some (not all, of course) gathered infos on what is scheduled, so we don't request it every time... ?


We cann't publish the hole roadmap because of high risk concerning research items (not all of our ideas work fine...). In order to clarify the near future, I can say that now among the highest priorities we have the following tasks:
  • further improve the quality and accuracy of tracking
  • some GUI issues
  • FBX support
  • props support
  • 6 cameras version
  • user guides


Quote:
3/I guess it's still a lot, you must be a small team, but do you guys know what support options will be available in the near future ?


We plan to propose service for convenient uploading of customer projects and videos to be more precise in troubleshooting. Also we are working on user guides and tutorials. As to support itself, most likely in the near future it remains e-mail based.

By the way, what support options are you waiting for?

Author:  Earlack [ Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: About pricing and updates...

Quote:
Now we assume that we can release new major versions no more frequently than once a year. To be more specific: in the next six months we plan to develop the current version, ie 1.x.


So, if I understand, in more than six months it may be 2.x ?

Quote:
We cann't publish the hole roadmap because of high risk concerning research items (not all of our ideas work fine...).


Yeah, I supposed so. A liittle list like this one you posted is just fine, this way we still have an idea about what's going on.

Quote:
# 6 cameras version


Mmmmm sounds exciting ! Would probably help some visual occlusion problems. Maybe it's a little soon but I think I'm not the only one that would love to hear more about this... :)

Quote:
By the way, what support options are you waiting for?


Well, exactly the ones you listed ! I can't see other viable options yet.

BTW, if you need help translating the program and/or the docs to other languages, I'd be more than glad to volunteer (on a french version, of course.)

Author:  shufflelot [ Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: About pricing and updates...

Earlack does bring up a good point, and I am also really excited about the potential upgrades coming.
I think the thing is, the program still needs more work before it can enter a production environment, and yet the price is a bit too high for simple home use, so it seems to fall into a middle ground currently.
We are thinking of buying a version at my new place of work but we are also toying with the idea of an optitrack system instead.
Whatever the case good luck and I look forward tseeing where this program heads into the future it's a dream come true if you guys pull it off.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/