Change font size
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:16 pm 

I have just shoot a test using 4 PS3 cameras and so far like the software. However I have a couple of questions about how to set up the pose after the T frame. The T frame is easy to setup and the software tracks the movement fairly well, however at the end of the first segment the arms are getting out of alignment (mostly due to bad contrast of clothing to background). The questions

1. Since the T Pose is made with the palms face out and the model is set up with the palms facing down does it matter which way the hands are pointing?

2. If it does not matter which way the hands point then why are there 3/4 rotation rings on the joints that only move so far before stopping which makes it hard to set up a pose that is not the default T.

3. Do I need to have a T Pose at the start of each segment? That way in cause the arms go crazy it has some point to restart from. Because when I try to refit the pose to the current frame it sometimes will refit but a frame or two in the arms go crazy and wrap around the back.

Is there any plans to make the joints drag and place instead of having to do the rotate ring thing?

Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:56 pm 

AnimateRichelle wrote:
1. Since the T Pose is made with the palms face out and the model is set up with the palms facing down does it matter which way the hands are pointing?

I've wondered that too. I think they recommend palms out to give the system a bigger target to work with for figuring out where the hands are. Since the system currently doesn't track wrist rotations, it probably doesn't matter. I'm just guessing of course.

Quote:
3. Is there any plans to make the joints drag and place instead of having to do the rotate ring thing?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question but there is a basic IK control option available. Having said that, I hope we'll be seeing improvements for manipulating the rig for correcting tracking errors before too long. :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:54 pm 

Yes the ring thing is related to IK control. The problem is that when my arm gets out of alignment it really goes out. The arm folds back on itself so the hand ends up under the armpit. Trying to realign it requires a lot of movement of the rings which I have yet to figure out what color does what. So some questions are:

1. Does the program make use of IK information? It seems it does since it will not allow you to rotate a bone into a wrong position.

2. If it does make use of IK then is there a way to tell which way the joints are facing? such as the elbow pointing down instead of to the outside of the body. This maybe why the reposition does not work as I maybe putting the joints in the wrong starting position.

I am going to do another test using high contrast cloths and a brighter lighting in the studio once I can get it set back up, however it would be nice to know some more about how the bones are being fit to the actor.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 am 
iPi Soft

There is an Inverse Kinematics manipulation tool in the user interface of iPi Studio. Click the "IK" button in toolbar, then click on arm or leg and you'll see an IK manipulator.

I would appreciate if you could give an example of 3D software that you like. We modeled our 3D pose manipulation tools after 3DS MAX but we probably still need to improve them further.

Greenlaw wrote:
AnimateRichelle wrote:

I've wondered that too. I think they recommend palms out to give the system a bigger target to work with for figuring out where the hands are. Since the system currently doesn't track wrist rotations, it probably doesn't matter. I'm just guessing of course.

Actually this is not very important in current version.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]