Change font size
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:52 pm 

Hi

I just will like to know if the new features in version 2 will work with dual kinect as well...?..., or some of the new features will be more for the sony cameras...?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 pm 

It was mentioned in another thread that nearly all the features work with either Kinect or PS3 Eye but quality and accuracy may differ. It's probably too soon to tell exactly how different since 2.0 is still in beta at the moment, and many key features (head, wrist, props, and multi-actor tracking) won't be introduced for a few more months. For example, I read that feet tracking is currently be more stable with PS3 Eye but I also read that they are still optimizing the new tracking system for both types of cameras.

Some features, like multiple actors, will only appear in the Standard edition but it sounds like it will work with either Kinect or PS3 Eye.

If you're wondering which system to get, I think the same rules for 1.0 apply to 2.0: six PS3 Eye allow larger capture space and higher accuracy but two Kinect devices are much easier to set up and use immediately, especially if you need to work in a small space. Both system produce good usable data.

PS3 Eye is more accurate because of higher framerate and it can capture a larger space because it's video based. The downside is that it needs a larger space with good, appropriate lighting (flat even lighting, no hard shadows,) and certain clothing styles and colors are recommended. With Kinect, lighting and color is mostly a non-issue because the captured data is depth, not video.

After the video/depth data is converted to volume data by DMC, the PS3 and Kinect data is more or less treated the same way by the tracker.

Most of the time I prefer Kinect for its convenience (it really is a lot quicker to set up and use) but I also have PS3 Eye cameras as a backup system when Kinect is inadequate. PS3 Eye is not really 'hard' to set up but it is more involved than two Kinects and it requires a lot more space--for example, I can use Kinect in my living room but to use PS3 Eye, I need to shoot in a two-car garage or outdoors. Also capturing with six PS3 Eye cameras requires more computer horsepower than with two Kinects.

If you can get both systems, go for it. If you can only afford one system, I'd go for Kinect unless you really need (and have) the larger capture space, in which case PS3 Eye is the obvious choice. One nice thing about iPi DMC is that it's scalable, meaning you can always add to your gear as your mocap requirements grow.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 pm 

what a great raply, thanks Greenlaw.

Yes, i`m in the process of getting one system or the other to test out IPI soft, i plan to adjust the resulting mocap in motion builder so if the accuracy is a bit off there will not be much of a problem.

My concern is the capture space with the Kinect.., i don´t know if 2 x 2 meters will be to little.

Thanks again for the great info.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:41 pm 

The Kinect's capture space is kind of small for big action motions. For me, the 7 x 7 ft space has been perfectly fine for our short film productions but if you need a lot of running, jumping, fighting, etc., in your projects then you'll probably want to go for the PS3 Eye setup--the PS3 Eye system can capture up to 20 x 20 ft (7 x 7 m).

The PS3 Eye system is certainly the more flexible of the two. The setup and prep is a little more involved than Kinect but it's really not bad. You do want to be sure you have adequate space with good lighting.

In my case, I can't use the PS3 Eye system in my home but I can set it up outdoors or at another location. Of course, this means I have to pack and carry my computer gear to the location too, so it takes a lot more planning and scheduling to use. With Kinect, on the other hand, I can just plug it into my computer and shoot in the living room when the mood strikes me. For me personally, Kinect has been more practical to use, but my productions needs may be very different from yours.

Sorry, I'm probably making the choice more difficult by explaining how each system can be used. IMO, one configuration really isn't 'better' than the other, they just have different strengths and uses, and it really comes down to what kind of motion you want to capture and how much space you have available to do it in.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:37 pm 

Many thanks again Greenlaw.

Your insight is giving me great information to go in the right direction of what to buy first. I do plan to buy both systems in the future but for now it will be just one.

Cheers
Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 pm 

Christopher wrote:
I do plan to buy both systems in the future but for now it will be just one.

The 4 or 6 PS3 Eye cameras used to be the expensive but more developed route but with the price drop of the PS3 cameras you could pick up 6 of them for less than what you can get 1 Kinect for Windows camera.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]