Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am 

I made a test using a wiimote attached to my head, then I applied the motion data to the
right hand, later in maya I transfer the right hand animation to the head bone, I just need
to adjust the initial pose of the head and it works great, all rotation movements are very
accurate in all axes.

It would be nice if we could apply the motion data to the head bone directly in Ipi, and
adjust the initial pose of the head based on the point cloud and video reference.
Could the next release of the software include the option to attach the motion controller
and apply motion data to the head bone?

Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm 

That's a pretty clever trick! Please post a video when you can. :)

I've been using the current head tracking in my animations. I seem to be getting much better results lately but still no sideways rotation of course. I think eventually they intend to augment this feature using a controller.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm 

I made some more tests and found that you don't need another software, just load a target character,
and assign the head with the right hand, then adjust in the first frame the rotation of the hand till the
target characters head match the position of the video/point cloud (ipi don't update the target character
in real time, you need to run some frames then return to the first frame on every modification you made
with the hand rotation), when the head is in the correct position apply motion data one more time and
the head will display all the movements you did during the recording process with a impressive precision.
(Dont' forget to disable the head tracking option, the tracking processe will run faster!)

Sorry, I can't make a video right now, but the process it's not so complicated!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:04 am 
iPi Soft

That's cool watching the users going ahead of our development with their experiments :) Joining Greenlaw in his request for a video. Especially interested in the way of attaching a controller to the head.
Sure, we'll make direct head tracking with motion controllers in the next releases. Though currently we plan to postpone this to v3. Now we are all absorbed with 2 actors tracking support.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 pm 

The video tutorial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZu0r-0vV0&hd=1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm 

Tks for the video tutorial ! Will try this asap !

I really hope ipi do it the clean way very soon.
In fact i'd rather see clean and integrated motion controller head tracking before the 2 actor tracking feature. Sounds more necessary to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 am 

VERY smart technique! Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 am 

Ipi Staff, you got it, just add a third brick to be match to the head for a third ps3 move or wii controller and thats it. the headphone with a rubber band is very clever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 am 

I just keep seeing more and more use of motion controllers.
Sure great avenue, but seems might as well go full out controllers for a full featured MoCap system.

Think iPi needs to looking into low cost hardware development.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 am 

Couldn't agree with you more CManson. The whole attraction of Ipi was that you didn't have anything strapped to your body. Pretty soon a lot of Ipi users without controllers will be left behind.

My son has a couple of Wii+ controllers that I'm going to steal, but that's as far as I'm willing to go before I start looking at alternative mocap solutions.

Carder

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next