Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm 

Once the new Kinect 2 camera is out, and integrated with capture motion software like Ipisoft, nuiCapture, Brekel or whatever else, with Kinect 2 high resolution capacity (1920X1080) that will be able to capture fingers and head rotations with no problems, what will be the use of the cumbersome PS move gadgets that presently allow us to capture hand and head rotations with Ipisoft?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:28 pm 

Yeah, had a similar question when I saw the demo video of the new Kinect but didn't get a reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm 
iPi Soft

I have a few thoughts about limitations of Kinect 2 as a "universal" mocap device:
  • As far as known, Kinect 2 will still have a very limited capture range (considering mocap applications).
  • Though head and wrist tracking looks very improved compared to current Kinect, we do not know how this will perform in real action, when actor is not primarily facing the camera.
  • Kinect 2 does not capture fingers, as it may seem. Just a very limited detection of thumb position. Even HD resolution is not adequate for such purposes in full-body mocap. And I do not think they use color information for hand tracking at all.
Of course, advanced depth resolution will be a help for any tracking algorithm, whether it be KinectSDK built-in, or that used in our software. But it does not appear to be a dramatic improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 pm 

In my opinion, multiple cameras from a range of angles will always out perform a static camera attempting to calculate precise depth. Look at a Vicon set up for example, it works off the same principles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 am 

How about 2 Kinect 2? Will that cover wider range and more accurate?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 pm 
iPi Soft

New Kinect is based on another depth sensing technology. So it is uncertain now whether it will be possible to use multiple sensors or their mutual interference will be too high.
The range of Kinect 2 is expected to be the same (about 5m), the precision and real resolution is expected to be higher compared to currently supported depth sensors (all sharing the same technology).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 am 

So, xbox one and new kinect 2.0 is out, did you get your hands on it already?
Do you have any plans at trying it?

Quality
As there is much more information about it now - it actually DOES have a better range and wider angle, as well as much much better resolution of a depth sensor, which will make tracking results better for sure. As well as make the area bigger.

Range
And as for me, I have a big enough room for tracking, but I don't hace enough space to put kinects far enough to actually even use the whole possible range of them. New kinect with much wider lens seem to solve this problem. As well as improved depth range.

Interference
And as for interference - I think it just needs to be tested. There was plenty of interference in kinect 1, and that was not a big problem. And even if there will be any more interference, I think it is totally possible to solve this problem with vibration motors.

So, major question is - are you planning on, at least, testing new kinects in the near future? Will you tell us about results of those tests?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:44 am 

Nixellion wrote:
So, xbox one and new kinect 2.0 is out, did you get your hands on it already?
Do you have any plans at trying it?

Quality
As there is much more information about it now - it actually DOES have a better range and wider angle, as well as much much better resolution of a depth sensor, which will make tracking results better for sure. As well as make the area bigger.

Range
And as for me, I have a big enough room for tracking, but I don't hace enough space to put kinects far enough to actually even use the whole possible range of them. New kinect with much wider lens seem to solve this problem. As well as improved depth range.

Interference
And as for interference - I think it just needs to be tested. There was plenty of interference in kinect 1, and that was not a big problem. And even if there will be any more interference, I think it is totally possible to solve this problem with vibration motors.

So, major question is - are you planning on, at least, testing new kinects in the near future? Will you tell us about results of those tests?
Ipi studio coop with ps eyes will have better result,why don't try that Out while nikonov Be working on the new capture device like kinect 2?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 am 
iPi Soft

Sure, we will support Kinect 2. The main stopper here is that Kinect 2 for Xbox has no connection cable for PC (only custom connection for Xbox).
Microsoft is going to release Kinect 2 for Windows next year (date is not fixed yet). We are in their Kinect developer's program, and hope to get Kinect 2 for Windows before its official release. Before that we can tell nothing about expected tracking quality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 am 

any news???

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next