Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 68 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07 am 
iPi Soft

Thank you everybody for your feedback!
It is very valuable to us.
At iPi Soft team we think that subscription-based model is more fair, as those who use software on everyday basis will pay more than those who use it on project basis. Our subscription model allows breaks in subscription, so you do not need to pay if you do not use the software.
We'll be able to drop down subscription prices step by step, while our customer base grows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:59 pm 

I assume being an a-typical user, but would like to tell You my situation.

We worked (played around) the last years with version 2, bought 8 PSP's, 3 Kinects, Lightning, Playstation controllers, tripods etc. and have to rent a room to capture.Needed to use Win7 and some workarounds to get the Plastation controllers get to work.

Over the years there were several updates of the software correcting errors.

I was long awaiting Version 3 using 3 Kinects v2 and did not assume the new software would be perfect in version 3.00.00.

Rather disappointing where the news about the new rental subscription, working only with 1 Kinect v2.
I often checked this forum and it looks like the software got some problems.
Without subscription I surely had upgraded immediately trusting on Your possibilities to get things done in the near future.
But if I now had upgraded immediately I would have lost a month until 1st update was available.

My plans now are: Wait for the version working with 3 Kinects v2 + wait for two updates of this version and after that download the trial.
Meanwhile unfortunately I have to look for alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 am 
iPi Soft

Well, I think your situation is a good explanation of difference between subscription and unlimited license.
With subscription you pay only when you really need the software, and when you actually use it.
Those who use software more, pay more, that's it.
Just a couple of comments.
1. Subscription period starts from the date of key activation, not from its purchase. So you can purchase keys during sales campaign and activate it later, when you need.
2. All new features and updates can be checked using expired trial. The only thing that will be unavailable is animation export. But you can do tracking and check the result in iPi Studio.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:02 am 

Quote:
Well, I think your situation is a good explanation of difference between subscription and unlimited license.
With subscription you pay only when you really need the software, and when you actually use it.
Those who use software more, pay more, that's it.

I bought 2 years ago paying one license e.g. 1000 $, used the software some weeks in this period.
With subscription the price doubles for the next two years.
Your argument would be right, if I only have to pay for every day I use the software, so a 3-month-subscription would have been right for me in the last two years.

Do I have to be connected to the internet to work with version 3 ?

Quote:
1. Subscription period starts from the date of key activation, not from its purchase. So you can purchase keys during sales campaign and activate it later, when you need.
2. All new features and updates can be checked using expired trial. The only thing that will be unavailable is animation export. But you can do tracking and check the result in iPi Studio.

I told You, that I plan to use the 3 Kinects v2 hoping it will be possible soon.
Buying a key during sales campaign now would be like renting a car without brakes hoping to get the brakes in near future.

Decades ago I close worked together with a motion capture company from the US producing biomech data & animation in biomechanics / Olympic games Albertville(1992) & Altlanta(1996).Of course using markers and broadcast video equipment + MSDOS-PCs.
At this time they surely were unique,then changed prices, had some development problems(as I see).
Long ago there were gone, I hope history will not repeat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:04 am 

pas wrote:
At iPi Soft team we think that subscription-based model is more fair, as those who use software on everyday basis will pay more than those who use it on project basis. Our subscription model allows breaks in subscription, so you do not need to pay if you do not use the software.

OK. Let's say I start a project. I have Ipisoft standard. A 3 months license will cost me $600 (that's a lot of money). I take all the captures I need. Then I start making my project (a movie) in my 3D app of choice. It takes me maybe six months. Then I find out that I need to add a few more scenes and need a few more captures, which happens all the time in the movie industry. That means I have to pay another $600 for a couple more captures? How is that more fair? In the old system, I would OWN Ipisoft standard for that price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:10 am 

I really don't see who they are marketing this new pay as you go plan. As bigger companies are going with suits (pay once options). Those still using camera captured options are using much better software. This was suppose to be geared toward pro-sumer level users but they just priced themselves out of that market.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:16 am 

Thanks ipi for responding and getting some dialogue going.

If the subscription license gave me a credit of 90 days to use the software
AND those days could be decided at my leasure over an unlimited period of
time, then I would be ok with a subscription model.

e1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 am 
iPi Soft

Thanks everybody again for additional feedback.
I see that 1 month subscription could be a solution in some cases. We'll consider this.
v3 does not require Internet connection to work. Activation can be done offline (by copying activation string and using different PC for activation).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:12 am 

Glad you are listening to our voices. I just wanted to add that our studio tried your software some time ago and while it was pretty accurate it was a pain to setup and deal with the clean up process. We were highly considering buying as it was very promising, but waited for V3 due to us owning Kinect V2. Upon seeing this change to the pricing scheme we threw your solution out the window.

I agree with what has been said by many on here and argus1000 brings up the perfect scenario. I think it was a very very bad decision especially with so many competing companies coming out with full blown motion capture suits that will completely eliminate the need for the two caveats I mentioned before. Because of this we decided if we are going to spend such a great deal of money on hardware as well as software, we mine as well kill off those first two and go with a a mocap suit as it will not only be easier to deal with, not need any cleanup, but can be used in real time, which is huge for us. Also head and arm tracker will be a non-issue as well.

Even with subscription prices being lower in different tiers, they are VASTLY overblown. You would do better to get the full year as the changes in price wouldn't make sense if you were going to spend that much money. If 600$ gets you 3 months with no hardware and the caveats above, what on earth would 1 month get you? I think even with adding these sorts of tiers, you really need to review your pricing as well as your subscription model especially when you have competing companies offering full blown mocap suits, with software, dedicated plugins for many popular software of choices, (Houndini, Blender, Maya, Motionbuilder, Unity, etc) dedicated support - the full works for between 300-400$ a month. And for 4-5x the price of your 1 year sub to the standard edition, all of the above to own forever. (software, plugins and hardware)

Don't get swallowed up by the competition, you have a great product and it would behoove you to change things back to a way that made more sense especially if you want to grow you customer base, not lose it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 am 

I am so sad that your software is subscription based now. You guys have just handled the business to Brekel Pro Body v2. http://brekel.com/brekel-pro-body-v2
I do not know what you guys were thinking, definitely not in the indie developers.
Oh well, time will tell if you guys have made a bad decision. Bye everybody and Merry Xmas.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 68 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next