Change font size
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:50 pm 

Dear experts,

Is it possible for iPi soft to work via Remote Desktop? I had tried and found that the GUI was fine, but no video could be displayed in the GUI, no matter using iPi Recorder or iPi Studio, no matter recorder new video or view existed project. Is this a usage issue or the soft is designed NOT working on Remote Desktop? Thank you.

PS: I have two computers for distributed recording but only have one display monitor. That's why I need RDP.

Best regards,
Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

It used to work with Win 10 anyway, never needed distributed recording before I upgraded from Win 7, I have done it for dual Kinect v2, are you sure you have everything connecting to the main computer correctly, firewalls allowing it, remote desktop allowed to slave computer?

I haven't tried it since, but I wouldn't think anything has changed with MS Remote connections, or iPi Recorder.

I never tried with iPi Studio 3, was really no need for me to, but I don't see why it wouldn't work at least to remotely control the program and view files.

Other free programs will do the same thing, if you can't get MS RDP working.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 am 

Dear Snapz,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I could take distributed recording properly, but the problem is when I was working on remote desktop, the area used to show video was blank, at the same time all the rest of the GUI was fine. :) So I have to pull and plug my monitor from one computer to another.

Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 am 

It would be blank if you don't reverse the connection of a monitor and what machine you are remote controlling, as all the iPi files are sent to the Master machines saved drive location you chose in the process.

The Master machine collects the videos, so are only going to show from that machines monitor after compiling, you can not set the Save location to a Slave computer, unless you manually move it there afterwards.

Why would you need to see a saved video on the Slave computer?

I may not be understanding what you are trying to achieve, there is no need to view, or edit a Slave capture video from a remote machine, is there?

If you want it to work in reverse to Remote to the Master machine, you would have to make your connection that way, or you WOULD have to switch the monitor over to actually control the other machine by its own monitor, I am just wondering why that would be needed to be done on a remote machine that wouldn't have the files stored on it anyway, until as stated above, you manually moved them onto that machine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 am 
iPi Soft

I guess the issue is related to a video driver used for rendering a remote desktop session, which does not support all features as expected by the program.
Try reverting back to the previous release of iPi Recorder 3.2.11.53, both on master and slave PCs. Does it make a difference?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:54 am 

Could be, as I don't know the configs, post if you find some sort of remedy, or work-around for your situation, it may solve other users similar issues.

Kind of hard when not seeing the situation that's occurring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 pm 

In the past, I occasionally controlled iPi Recorder and iPi Mocap Studio on my workstation remotely using a small laptop with the free version of TeamViewer. This was useful to me because the workstation is located in a different room from where I record.

It worked really well, even with Wifi connection.

I stopped after updating to multi-Kinect 2.0 and had to add additional computers anyway. Now I just make my tablet computer, connected by ethernet, the 'master', and I no longer bother with the remote connection.

But if you need remote connection, give TeamViewer a try.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

Seems he said he had the master/slave working for recording with RDP, I think he was trying to view the video on the slave comp. and I don't believe that can be done while in remote connection, being the slave is just a conduit for distributed recording to see each cameras input, then to transfer the data to the master comp.

All recorded video viewing should be done from the master comp while in that config as far as I am aware with the monitor on the master comp., whichever is chosen to be the master, can be either machine, but you can't control the master from a slave comp. in any type of one-way remote connection.

Yes, Team Viewer worked also for me, same basic thing, just not an internal MS program.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:35 pm 

Ah, you're right. Yeah, I guess it was when I started using distributed rendering myself, that I stopped using the remote connection. That was when I moved the 'master' from the workstation to the mobile computer that was in the room I was recording in, but I could no longer see what all the computers were recording simultaneously.

I'm not sure it matters much except when initially lining up the cameras. This is where I wish we had the grid overlay I mentioned in another thread. For example, a grid would make it easier to line up visual markers on the floor, even when you can't see all the cameras on the same display.

For that matter, since the Kinect can detect the floor, it might be useful if Recorder could overlay a 3D grid on the floor. That might help with lining up each device to floor markers. Well, it's just a thought...the more I think about it, I'm not certain that would be useful in practice. Maybe if we could slide the grid over the floor plane on x/z for each device.

Maybe the iPi engineers would have a clearer opinion about this.

Regarding Team Viewer vs RDT, Team Viewer always seemed more responsive to me for video interactivity. I imagine this may vary by graphics hardware though.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]