Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am 

Hello there,

anyone here have used syflex cloth simulation plug in with ipi mocap characters?
I find maya's ncloth to be too slow and having too much error (cloth penetrating skin and wrong wrinkles).

I saw Greenlaw comenting on lilghtwave's syflex forum. Hey Greenlaw, do you have any experience using syflex for maya or do you used syflex with only lightwave?

I wish someone would give me a real live comparison between ncloth and syflex.

thanks for any info.

JC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am 

It's been a long time since I last used Syflex in LightWave. It works with any bone-driven animation so it works fine with imported iPi Mocap Studio data.

But for cloth sims, I like to use LightWave's Bullet Dynamics in Deforming mode because it's predictable and fast.

Be sure to use appropriate geometry with it. If you rely too much on sub-D surfaces, the result will lack detail because Bullet works with the undivided base geometry and it's not going to animate vertices that are not actually there. If the detail is there to start, the sim can look very good with lots of nice folds and detail. To be clear, you can still use sub-D surfaces on top of that; Bullet just needs enough polygonal detail at the base level to work convincingly.

It also works best when all the polygons are closer to the same size. Because of this, I often create a version of my 'cloth' object specifically for simming with Bullet. Sometimes this means simply 'cutting it up' a certain way, but other times you may want to re-topolgize some parts or all of the object using 3D-Coat or ZBrush.

For collision, use proxy geometry (i.e., pills, spheres, low-poly geo, etc.,) parented to the bones. If you try to use the actual deforming character mesh, you need to use MDD caching, set that to Bullet Deforming, and you're going to be waiting all day for a single sim to complete. With proxy geometry, no caching is required and it should only take a few minutes to calculate, and the result will probably be look better.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 am 

Coincidentally, I happen to be working on a character with blousy sleeves and long hair right now, and will be using iPi Mocap Studio data with LightWave Bullet to sim these features. I'll show some examples when I'm farther along in this project.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 am 

Thanks for your replay Greenlaw.

I use maya so will have to go with either ncloth or syflex. Syflex people gave me twe week time locked demo, so I've been playing with if for a few days. The folds aren't quite realistic as ncloth, but it's significantly fast if you can find the right setting combinations. On ncloth a daz base character with MD clothing took .2 frames a second to simulater, but same scene gave me close to 3-6 frames a second on Syflex. It's much faster. I think I'm going to purchase it.
I wish Qualoth had continued support.. but it seems they stoped developing it. So for now, syflex is all I've got. I hope somebody comes out with GPU based cloth simulator.

thanks again

JC

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]