Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 am 

Hi there!

I Just saw this awesome video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gzSUFTFIDY

So Ipisoft is now tracking Head, Hands and feeds?!?!?

Greets,
NICK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 am 
iPi Soft

Hello,
iPi Mocap has always included head and feet tracking (just check corresponding option on Tracking tab).
Accuracy of head and feet tracking with Kinects is not perfect though, due to depth sensors limitations.
Hand rotations can be tracked with the use of Sony PS Move motion controllers:
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Motion_Controllers

As to video you refer to, iPi Soft has nothing to do with it. So we cannot give any comments on it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am 

here u can see it better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTlaZqIAK0

He tracks the fingers and the head with ipisoft???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:31 am 
iPi Soft

I assure you that iPi Soft does not include fingers tracking. It is technically not possible with current depth sensors resolution.
But one can key-frame hand poses (including fingers): http://docs.ipisoft.com/Hand_Keyframing

Again, head and feet tracking is included, but its accuracy is not perfect, due to depth sensors limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am 

I would caution anyone to the accuracy of what the user from those referred to YouTube videos states, better to refer to this forum, or the iPi Docs for more accurate procedures with Kinects, or PS Eyes and settings within the Recorder/Studio software.

Those are also of iPi version 2 software, version 3 is much better and accepts use of Kinect v2 sensors, version 2 does not.

Hand and head tracking with either Kinect model will require 3-Move controllers per performer for best results, as head tracking without a Move is very limited with all Kinects.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:23 am 

FWIW, I've generally had very good results using a PS Move to track head motions. The key is to fix the device rigidly locked to the head.

I use a modified hard hat with slots cut in the top to allow a velcro strap to loop over the device. There is also a soft rubber pad between the had and device to keep if firmly in place. I've also had good results modifying a bicycle helmet. You can see the rigs at my website.

I've also thought a GoPro headstrap might work well, or the headgear used in martial arts*. It doesn't really matter where on the head the device is mounted because only rotation is being recorded. You just need to be sure it won't wiggle or bounce.

(*I just remembered: I did order a boxing headgear to try a while back but, unfortunately, I got the wrong size. I think that by Velcro-ing the device to the side of the head should have worked though so, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll order again with the proper size.)

Hand tracking or, more accurately, Wrist tracking can also be done using PS Move devices. If you hold the devices, be sure to grip firmly...as with the head, you don't want it to wiggle independently of the wrist joint. It may take some practice to grip firmly and move the wrist in a natural manner, but I've gotten excellent results from this.

Some users will mod workout gloves and mount the device to the back of the hand. I've experimented with this and found that if you don't want to strip down the device, it will work better if you add a foam riser between the back of your hand and the device. This will keep your forearm from bumping the device when you rotate the wrist upwards.

As for feet tracking, Dual Kinect is not perfect but I've gotten very good results. In fact, I used Dual Kinect iPi Mocap data for digital avatars in a few SyFy movies a few years ago.

For my own personal film projects, I often frame scenes with the feet/legs below camera frame, so I don't normally need to worry about this. Yea, that's 'cheating', but it means getting the work done faster. :)

But of course, sometimes you just have to deal with it.

Where you might see a little 'slipping' is usually in tight turns. This is because the iPi Skeleton cannot rotate the upper leg on heading. This is fairly easy to correct in an animation program. The other situation where I've seen slipping is when crouching low and jumping. In my case, the character's feet slipped backward at the beginning of the jump. This was also easily corrected in animation by pinning the feet with constraints just before the jump and releasing them at the moment of jumping.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]