Change font size
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:19 pm 

Hi all,

I've only recently gotten into the iPi mocap game, and one of the problems I ran in to was determining what USB controller cards used chipsets that worked with the Kinect V2. A lot of times this info isn't listed, even on the manufacturer's website. However, I got pretty lucky with two cards I bought of Amazon, both of which are under $20 and use a single PCI Express x1 slot. They have worked flawlessly with both of my Kinects, offering a solid 30 FPS in nearly all instances of use. There were a few dropped frames in some cases, usually because I had too much running on my system, but frames dropped per second never exceeded 0.5, so distributed recording was unaffected. They also work with active USB 3.0 extension cables, and have also been tested on iPi Recorder's new method of using two or more Kinect V2s on the same system.

The first is the Febsmart FS-U2-Pro, which uses the well-known Renesas D720202 chip:
https://www.amazon.com/FebSmart-Self-Powered-Technology-No-Additional-FS-U2-Pro/dp/B071P5C6CS/

The second is a real surprise, the Inateck KT4006, which uses a chip I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before, the Fresco FL1100:
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64/

Note that you can only connect ONE Kinect V2 to each of these despite having two ports due to PCIe 1x bandwidth limitations. These have both been tests on an Intel Z270-based system using an i7-6700, and an Intel B360-based system using an i3-8100. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

If choosing between the two, I would recommend getting the Febsmart as it's less expensive, and uses the Renesas D720202 chip which is widely documented for its Kinect V2 compatibility. The Inateck using the Fresco FL1100 was quite the surprise though - has anyone else seen this USB controller chip working before? Would be interested to hear about other known working cases, as adding another type of USB Controller to the list that the finicky Kinect V2 gets along with would be great. ;)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]