Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:53 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 am 
iPi Soft

Thank you very much for this detailed tutorial!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 am 

Hi Chuby

I am really interested in your adventures with the cameras, and it would be great to get hold of a detailed document with all your steps and experiences.

as far as software to sync video, I would strongly suggest Fusion by Eyeon, it has everything you need for syncing, colouring, contrast work and matting. You can bring in multiple video streams and shift them along the timeline for syncing, you can construct side by side video output in any size you like and output in most formats. I have been using it professionally for many years and even though it is a bit pricey you may be able to pick up an old copy from somewhere as all the features I mentioned above have been in it for years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 pm 

Hi,guys!
I 'm going to record with 3 camcorders in .AVI file, sync them in post edit soft ...but they'll be 3 different videos! After I uploaded them, edited,synced ---- what is next? Should I assign each video to each camera in IPI, or I need to do only one video where all footages from 3 cams are edited as one?
How will IPI differ 3 cameras then? I'm not getting this part.Sorry, it probably sounds stupid, but I'm stuck with such a little problem.

I'm not using webcams,I'd like to use the cams with Firewire cable.

Many thanks ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:27 pm 

Hi!
Can't figure it out...How 2,3 or 4 video sources can be combined manually in one file and be recognised by IPI studio as o2,3 or 4 different videos?
I'm not using webcams, but consumer cameras.What should I do after I edit/sync 3 different videos?
I didn't get Chuby's statements from his very first post...
" 8-Using motion I locked video 1 at position 0,0 ( so it would cover the first 320x240.
9-Then using another motion filter I locked video 2 at position 320,0 ( so it covers the second half of final video ) "

Sorry guys, for such a question.
Thanks ahead.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 pm 

Hi,

IMO, you would be much better off just getting three or four PS3 Eye cameras. Trying to synchronize three or four consumer video cameras with frame accuracy is nearly impossible without special (in another word, expensive) hardware. You could get close to sync by assembling the footage in post, but it will probably not be exact, making it less than ideal for tracking by iPi DMC. (It should be fine for 'roto-capture' by hand, which is what we did before we got into creating and using professional motion capture where I work.)

The main advantage to using suitable USB webcams over consumer video cameras is that, since they are all feeding into a single computer simulataneously, Recorder can do a very good job keeping them in sync. You just plug the webcams into a suitable computer and they're synchronized automatically. Recorder also formats your output video properly for iPi DMC. You can reproduce this format manually using Fusion or AfterEffects, but that's way more trouble in time and expense than it's worth. Also, the PS3 cameras are pretty cheap; at $30 or so per camera, it's significantly less expensive than buying three or four matching video cameras.

Regarding Fusion, I've used it to make video layout corrections and image optimizations to my Recorder footage, and it works great. I mainly use it to remove unwanted reflections and shadows, but I'm getting good at keeping my footage 'clean' to begin with so I don't have to do this. I've also used it to optimize my calibration video by tracking and enhancing my maglite, but if you shoot your calibration session correctly to begin with, this step is not necessary. By the way, Fusion is indeed VERY expensive, and I would not recommend getting it just to assemble video footage for iPi. However, if you do a lot of fx compositing for movies and commercials, Fusion is one of the best programs available. (It's what I use almost daily at Rhythm & Hues.)

To me, what's been more handy for post editing Recorder footage (which can run very long) is Vegas Pro, which lets me easily trim all my footage into shorter and more manageable clips, and then save the data without recompressing it. You can probably do the same with Virtual Dub, which is free, but Vegas helps me keep things better organized and it's easier to edit the footage with. I think the cheaper 'consumer' version of Vegas may let you do the same (save trimmed footage without recompressing,) but I haven't used that version to be sure. Again, I wouldn't get this software just to edit Recorder clips, but if you don't already have a video editor, Vegas is a good choice.

Hope this helps.

Greenlaw

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 pm 

I almost forgot to mention that with consumer video cameras, you'll probably be dealing with interlaced video, which introduces another layer of difficulty for iPi DMC.

USB web cameras, however, like the Logitech Quickcam Pro or PS3 Eye, record video progressively (whole frames,) which is more ideal for tracking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 am 

I'll try this offline approach later today. For testing ipi dmc I won't buy 3 or 4 cameras, and as I understood, the whole DMC technology lifts off even under rather low profile specs (320x240 is not hi resolution). So I guess, less than a frame difference in the videos shouldn't make the DMC unusable.
Tested a single camera video yesterday, and the overall impressive results convinced me to borough a second camera from a friend today. This will allow me (hopefully) to move my arms more freely without misinterpreting depth (in single video, DMC put the arm several times behind the body, instead of before).
I use two point'n click cams for this, both able to record 30fps videos at at least ntsc resolution.
I find using a video editing application and putting the videos next to each other and exporting it as avi (2 minutes setup + exporting time) less tedious than the hassle with 3 or 4 USB cables 10 meters each.

I'll post results, when I work it through. When it works out, it will show, that DMC can or can't cope with a lot of stuff as different cameras with even different aspect ratios and other stuff I have yet to test.

I'll have fun :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 am 

PC is still calculating. For 4-5 minutes it will easily take more than 20 hours.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:36 am 

Hahaha!
After around 20 hours DMC seemed to have finished tracking.
I pull the timeline slider back to the start of the acting, to see my results.
Crash.

Don't expect me anytime soon here again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:49 pm 

Stereomike wrote:
PC is still calculating. For 4-5 minutes it will easily take more than 20 hours.

Yow! I've never had it take anywhere near that long. The slowest part for me was calibration, but tracking is typically pretty quick. (And this was with a much older version of iPi DMC; I haven't had a chance to test more recent builds yet, which is supposed to be a lot faster.)

Sorry it's not working for you. Just curious, but what's your hardware specs? Also, what codec are you using and are you saving whole frames? If iPi DMC doesn't have whole frames to track with, understandably it could wig out. (This would be true with any tracker.)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next