Change font size
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Hi, some people asked me to try to find another way to hold the controller
because they are having problems on attaching the ps move with their headsets.

I borrowed a ps move and use some things I already had here and made this prototype,
I tested and it's very stable.

You'll need:

- Internal part of a hard hat (it's called "Suspension", it's sold separately and it's very cheap).
I recomend buy the chinstrap too. (I didn't have any to use with this example)

- 3 plastic strips (I used: 25cm x 4mm ( 9.8in x 0.2in), but it could be in any similar size).

- A small piece of EVA (Ethylene vinyl acetate) or something similar.
(it's just to avoid the strips to scratch the controller) (cut 3 pieces with 1cm x 8cm (0.4in x 3.1in))

*To increase the balance, the controller should be placed pointing back.
(anyway you can use the suspension inverted, it's still comfortable)
*Don't pull the middle strip too much or it will deform the suspension.

See attached image for details.

Hope it helps.

Jomário Murta

The video tutorial about head tracking with motion controller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZu0r-0vV0&hd=1
The topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6861

Attachments:
HeadHolderPsMove.png
HeadHolderPsMove.png [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 32762 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm 

That's great! Thanks for sharing this info. :)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
iPi Soft

Mocap Studio v2.3.1.149 supports tracking the head with a motion controller.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm 

hi vmaslov, there is no info about the new head tracking with moiton controller. Is this means that a 3rd motion controller would be need it? ( in case we use 2 for the hands) , and this would mean that when recording the video with 3 motion controllers, 2 for the hands and one attached to the head, there will be a 3rd option to use a 3erd controller in the motion controller tab in ipi studio? can you at least show a jpg showing the motion controller tab in ipi studio with 3 options instead of 2? there is no info at all about this. thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:33 pm 
iPi Soft

wicq wrote:
hi vmaslov, there is no info about the new head tracking with moiton controller. Is this means that a 3rd motion controller would be need it? ( in case we use 2 for the hands) , and this would mean that when recording the video with 3 motion controllers, 2 for the hands and one attached to the head, there will be a 3rd option to use a 3erd controller in the motion controller tab in ipi studio? can you at least show a jpg showing the motion controller tab in ipi studio with 3 options instead of 2? there is no info at all about this. thanks in advance

Hi
In the release news, there is a link to an article in wiki containing some tips. Of course, you'll need 3 controllers. Yes, the tab will contain options for all of them. Basically, there is a new item Head in Attach to combobox - that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am 

thanks vmaslov, now Im sure to go out and buy a third ps3 move. Now I have a new concern. Im foreseen a problem when 2 person tracking feature is released. the problem is about motion controllers, if now one person have to use 3 motion controllers for hands and head , with 2 people we will need 6 motion controllers. the problem is that bluetooth adapters only handle 4 motion controllers from what I read in this forum, and installing a second bluetooth device I think is not possible. I mean I think it cant be done. I tried once , but the second bluetooth adapter overrides the first one. well at least I dont know how to have 2 bluetooth adapters installed in case this is posible. so that will be the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 am 

Hi Jomario,

I was wondering, where did you purchase your safety helmet suspension? I'm trying to track down the type you show here with the rigid top. Thanks in advance for any info.

G.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 am 
iPi Soft

wicq wrote:
the problem is that bluetooth adapters only handle 4 motion controllers from what I read in this forum, and installing a second bluetooth device I think is not possible.

According to BT specification, limit for number of devices connected to a single Bluetooth master (i.e. adapter) is 7. However, the actual limit depends on the adapter implementation and connected device types. There may be some BT adapters that can handle more than 4 PS Moves, however the general case limit is indeed 4, as in PlayStation console.
It is true that you cannot use more than 1 BT adapter with standard Microsoft BT drivers. But you can do this using Motion in Joy drivers (tested). So it should be the way to go when trying 6 PS Moves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 am 

I'm going to experiment with couple of bicycle helmets we have here--these fit snugly and have rigid tops. Let you know how it goes. If it works well, I might try tracking down a really cheap one that I can modify (i.e., to paint over the shiny surface and to reduce bulk, though, because normal head tracking won't be enabled, this might not be necessary.)

G.

Update: Found a really cheap skateboard helmet--will give this a try too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 am 

Sorry about the delay Greenlaw,

this kind of suspension is very easy to find here, in any safety store,
it's like a standard in Brazil (I think even worldwide, these hard hats
(or construction helmets) are very similar).

But if you can't find it separately, even the hard hat is very cheap,
you can buy one and remove the suspension.

I think the problem with the bicycle helmet is about the weight, you'll
need to keep the chinstrap very tight, it could become uncomfortable
during the recording. With the suspension model you'll need the chinstrap
only for very strong movements or when looking down (extremely).

Hope it helps.
Jomário Murta

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next