Change font size
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 am 

Ok guys, this is very important. when setting up the scene it would be a hell of a lot easier to get accurate calibration without having to rely on the software's interpretation of the scene. We really should be able to enter a value for the cameras height above the ground manually "as in type it in exactly" then we should have the ability to lock this value so that everything else can be moved without altering this value. Right now just about any other movement alters the value. this is super frustrating.

One other thing. I'm not that sure that the FOV for the Sony cameras is entirely accurate. If it is then that mean that you software is no compensating for the lens distortion of the camera. since this is a know camera this would not be hard to do in a simple pre-processing step in the software.

If these things are done people should be able to do as we have done and accurately measure all of their camera distances to ground and between 1 and 2 and if the video has been pre corrected for lens distortion then everything will line up before you even run the calibration tool. I know this tool is not necessarily intended for people caught up in this level of technical detail. But having worked with higher end systems some of us really like to cover our base and verify that every thing is 100x right!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am 

Hi,

You really shouldn't have to touch the cameras at all for calibration. Assuming the recording is good and DMC has the proper camera reference order, the software should be able to place the cameras for you automatically. Could you post your calibration video? The issue might be something related to the recording itself and iPi DMC's ability to make sense of it.

This is just my opinion but spending a couple of years of using DMC, I actually think it's better to have the software interpret the camera placement for you. There are many variables, such as lens curvature, which can make real world measurements seem inaccurate to the software. The current system is fast and easy to set up: just auto-calibrate and then enter the actual height of a selected camera, and let the system do what it needs to do. For me, anyway, the mocap results from letting the software handle its own scene calibration has been very accurate.

Once this data is saved, it can be loaded over and over again for every performance (so long as the physical cameras were not moved during recording of course.)

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 pm 

No I'm not having issues. Just saying from the view of someone that is used to a more professional setup and likes to make sure things are exact. You may be able to do it with the automatic system but it just leaves too much to chance. Besides it is not like I'm asking for something that should be a really big deal. There are a couple times that while all 6 cameras lookedclose and the animation was usable it could easily have been improved with the ability to more accurately setup tje system. Besides would it be better for the customers to have the option?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 pm 

calmasacow wrote:
...Besides would it be better for the customers to have the option?

Yes! I'm all for options. :)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]