Change font size
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm 

Hi , I just have an idea which is to use from 4 up to 8 GoPro 3 black edition instead of the ps3 cams. The idea relies on adding a batch conversion video to Ipi recorder, this mean having an option to browse , select and add up to 8 videos that are made with Gopro cameras, and ipi recorder join these videos and convert them into one xxxx.iPiVideo file that has stored the 8 different angles. Why GoPro 3 black edition? because we can take advantage of the 120fps in 720p, this is HD at 120 fps. This of course wont need to deal with usb controllers and hard drive buffer issues because the mocap session wont be recorded in ipi recorder and the computer wont even being used, but in order to make the ps3 moves work , maybe the process would be to allow to use ipi recorder to just record the ps3 moves movement and then when add the GoPro videos , maybe you can add to ipi recorder some tools to synchronize the 8 videos between each other and also synchronize them with the ps3 moves. I believe that using HD resolution and 120 fps would increase a lot the quality of the tracking and the best thing is that the gopro cameras has advance settings that can be set so they can be used in any environment like for example shutter speed, f-stop , iso , white balance, etc. Please give this idea achance , the Gopros are not cheap ,but they are not expensive either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
Thanks for your request. We have plans to make the distributed recording possible to overcome hardware limitations. Maybe, we'll also extend this to support standalone cameras. However, it may turn hard to get perfect sync of independent records. The cameras should have a "rock hard" frame rate stability.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:38 am 
iPi Soft

Latest GoPro cameras now have synchronized hardware trigger tools (over WiFi), so synchronization should not be much of a problem.

There is another problem - GoPro cameras have noticeable radial distortion. We should upgrade our software to handle radial distortion. This is planned for version 3.0. Until then, it would be difficult to support GoPro.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 am 

thanks for your replies guys, well even if Gopro cameras didn`t have wifi sync, synchronization would be the easiest thing to do. It can be done in any compositing package like sony vegas, AE or premiere, but in ipi recorder, it would be as simple as adding an start and end frame setting for every individual video so this way you can match starting and ending points for all the videos and therefore synchronized them.

vmaslov : what do you mean by "The cameras should have a "rock hard" frame rate stability" I think 720p at 120fps is more than rock hard frame rate.

Nice to see you are working for bring better things for v3.0, I hope by then we have the Myo thing released and added for finger animation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:42 am 
iPi Soft

wicq wrote:
vmaslov : what do you mean by "The cameras should have a "rock hard" frame rate stability" I think 720p at 120fps is more than rock hard frame rate.

I mean that there should be no occasional frame drops or different delays between individual frames. So, equal number of frames from any record's part of any camera corresponds to equal time segment of recorded action. I've just shared my thoughts on this subject. It may be the case that standalone cameras are better in this kind of stability than streaming cameras. Anyway, it's a matter of testing.
With streaming cameras, small frame rate instability is less an issue, as we can detect occasional unsyncs in realtime and fix them automatically.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]