Change font size
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:31 am 

Hi guys,

I could really use an animateable ground plane. For example, I have the actor standing on a stool and jumping off, but because iPi Mocap Studio knows the ground is about a 1/3 meter lower, it doesn't animate the feet and lower leg positions correctly, pushing straightened legs completely to the floor when crouching down on the stool. The legs only properly collapse when the actor lands on the floor. It would be really cool if I could raise the ground to the level of the platform, then lower it when the actor leaps off the platform.

Thanks for listening.

G.

Edit: Here's a little more description of what's happening: when the actor steps up onto the platform, iPi Mocap Studio appears to track this properly for a little while. Then, as the actor starts to crouch (for the jump) the entire body translates downward with the feet sinking completely through the platform, with the knees completely straight as if the actor was still standing up fully upright. The legs only bend again when the actor lands on the floor from the jump. Disabling Foot Tracking doesn't seem to help.

I'll send the files as soon as I can make time for this (probably this weekend.)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 am 

Hmm...I should check that both Foot Tracking and Ground Collisions is disabled while standing on the platform, and run another test. Let you know how that goes.

But even if this works, an animateable ground should help make it work better. Plus there are other reasons I'd like to be able to do this, specifically when the actor is lying down or otherwise very near the floor--in such cases, being able to temporarily lower the ground plane could help with tracking.

Thanks.

G.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:51 am 

I just tried completely disabling Foot/Ground, and getting the same results. I think I know what's happening though: the system is mistaking the platform, which is mostly solid, for my legs.

To solve this, I guess I need a platform with skinny legs (like a table, step ladder, or dining chair,) but this is also more the reason for an animateable ground plane.

G.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:00 pm 

D'oh! I feel so stupid. I guess if I had thought to put the stool in the scene when I performed the scene evaluation, the stool should have been subtracted from the scene. I'm not completely sure that's what happened but because the stool is present the action scene, that must be what happened.

I guess I could check the calibration video--if the stool is not present in it that could suggest that it wasn't present during evaluation as well.

Oh, well, live and learn. :)

G.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:08 pm 

Looking at my calibration video and I don't see the platform. That's not conclusive but I think that's what's causing the 'sinking' character. Will re-shoot tonight and see if it works better this time--I'm almost certain it will.

That said, I'm still wishing for an animateable ground plane in a future release. :)

G.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]