Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:49 pm 

What makes me think this might be possible, is that I'm running two copies of Studio on my machine, using a single card, getting about .445 fps for each, for a combined .89. If I run a single copy, I get .726. So ... by running 2 copies, I'm processing about 22.5% more fps ... which I will post elsewhere, as something that appears useful. Even better, if possible, would be if I could give each copy, it's own exclusive GPU. This might also allow me to make use of dissimilar GPU's ... using the weaker one on shorter captures. Or, given two identical cards, I could double my throughput, instead of getting just a 60% increase ... when I have multiple capture files to process of course.

Since Studio demanded either the primary, or the primary + secondary, I don't think I can test this.

I got a newer card that is as fast as both my older cards combined, so I removed the older card, and can't double check this at the moment. Running the older and newer cards, together on a single copy of Studio produced ugly results, as was predicted.

Even with a pretty strong machine, I'm pushing the CPU enough with 2 copies, that I'm not sure running a 3rd copy would be useful, btw.

Thanks.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:25 pm 

Tested further. Not surprisingly, the particular card, is significant.
The results I reported were with a gtx750ti.

Testing with an older, weaker card (gtx460, 768mb), the results reversed themselves, and running 2 copies of Studio produced a lower total fps, compared to running a single copy. I'll try with a gtx960, probably Thursday, and see what that produces.

Nonetheless, the fact that with some cards, running multiple copies is profitable would still make my original request valid, I believe. The fact that Studio can see multiple cards would certainly make it easy enough to allow selection between cards (menu-wise), but I have no idea how hard the underlying change, to make use of the chosen card might be.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]