Change font size
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Kinect Calibration
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:16 am 

Hi, Would it be possible to add the same video darkening function to the Kinect calibration when using a glowing marker as is currently available to PS Eye users? I am having to recalibrate 3 Kinects daily and it is a real struggle, often taking over an hour due to background light sources confusing the tracking. Yet I can calibrate 4 or 5 PS Eyes in a matter of minutes! This would be very helpful and seems odd that it's not already there as an option.

Post subject: Re: Kinect Calibration
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:23 am 
iPi Soft

Unfortunately, exposure settings are provided by drivers only for Kinect v1 for Windows. They can be set up individually in camera's properties: on the SETUP tab, mouse over camera screen, then click PROPERTIES.
Kinect for XBOX 360 and Kinect v2 (for XBOX One) do not provide any way to control the exposure.

Thus we recommend to dim light when calibrating depth sensors with light marker.
You may also try different light sources (for example, PS Move's light sphere) and different values for marker size when processing calibration videos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:57 am 

I have tried both the maglite and PS Moves to calibrate but no success recently. I did have it working fine a few weeks back with 3x 360 Kinects but now I just cannot get it to calibrate. Unfortunately there is no way for me to dim the lights any further than I have been doing...so the only alternatives are 1) Use 1 depth sensor or 2) Drive 30 miles in the middle of the night to the office to calibrate the cameras every night. You can guess which I'm doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:05 am 
iPi Soft

There is at least one more option - use 2 Kinects and the board calibration method.
If you provided us several of your "bad" calibration videos, we would check whether we can improve our algorithms to help in your situation or possibly what you can improve to make better calibration videos.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]