Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:09 pm 

I've seen various posts about ie. Perception Neurons, and while they look quite cool, they seem to suffer from several of the problems with a inertia solution, like lacking a fixed point for determining positioning reliably when ie. doing jumps and movements where it's hard to determine where the mocap actor really is. A simple example of this is a person doing jumping jacks. So i was wondering if there was a way to combine these two worlds in IpiSoft? So gather positional data and all the rest of the mocap data, but consolidate it with the inertia data which in some situations might be more precise. Hope it makes sense, and im not totally wrong about this. Otherwise please feel free to enlighten me :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:04 am 
iPi Soft

OK, we agree with you that combination of optical and intertial mocap is a viable option. And we already do this to a minor extent with PS Moves.
We consider integration with inertial suits as a long-term research topic, with no specific timeframe.
Currently, we concentrate on improving and speeding up our core optical algorithms and expect material results in this direction by the end of the year.
Anyway, thanks for bringing this up again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:30 am 

That's great to hear. I will be checking back now and then to see what you come up with. Im also talking to some guys at a company called Rokoko which are in the process of developing a smartsuit they call it, which is also an inertial based mocap/live-actor suit. We had a talk about combining the data from the sensors with camera trackers which they also were very interrested in, but had to deliver the suit soon due to their kickstarter campaign, so it was somewhat down-prioritized at this time.

Anyway i did see you had the PS Moves support which is a good start, but i assume the data from them are entirely used to drive the rotations for the hands? So it's not like the data from the visual tracking are being consolidated with the PS Move data or is it? If it is, then in theory it should be a technical matter to just get the data from a suit. It would make the Ipisoft solution an even stronger solution because it would allow for pretty accurate joint tracking coming from the inertial sensors combined with the positional data from the visual tracking you already have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:20 am 

Just another idea, sadly i don't have the technical expertice to determine if this is doable or not. But would it technically be possible to have a visual tracking setup that would only aim at tracking one point in space (ie. your hip region), something like wearing a pair of shorts with a very specific pattern that could be used to visually derive the orientation of the hips and also position. So that the rest of the body was not being tracked, but would be tracked via Perception Neuron data and offset correspondingly from the hip position.

I ask this question because if i were to continue my mocap sessions with rockclimbing moves, my conclusion was that i had to find a better tracking solution than Ipisoft, because of the precision and thus all the mocap cleanup i had to do afterwards. And using PN would give me quite precise joint data, but i would still have to construct the positional data itself from video reference (from two angles, back/right positions).

Anyway, that was just some thoughts i wanted to get out. Let me know what you think. Or if it's already something you can say is not gonna happen, it's also perfectly fine. I trust you know better on the technical side.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]