Change font size
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 am 

Hands and optionally maybe the hmd too.. I mean, the motiondata are pretty high quality, and should be fairly simple to incorporate and consolidate with the tracked data.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:49 am 

The hmd data would be cool for visual use to create more exact motions pertaining to specific scene scenarios accuracy, or reaction to an element or other character in scene, I am just not sure it is possible the way Vive tracks rotational data of the head unit.

I don't think that would require the Vive hand controllers data to be incorporated into the animations in order to script it into the motions made?

I am not sure what you are referring to there, are you meaning using the action buttons on the Vive hand controllers for in-game scripting?

I am also researching on how iPi can be used with VR/AR, but since it isn't a real-time solution the VR hmd could increase some of its capabilities for more realistic in-scene actions, I think it may interfere with extreme motions, but used in place of a head mounted Move for rotational data may be impossible, since incorporating the lighthouses needed into the iPi coding may be very hard and without those Vive hmd has no rotational or positional tracking available, so the recorded video would still need to rely on a head mounted Move, since the head gear would definitely interfere with the head tracking in iPi without one.

This head Move could also be attached to a cap of some sort, like I made the Moves gloves to make it a more slim attachment.

This would be better used with IMU real-time solution though.

I tested the FBX file release from the Smart Suit they just released and it still has all the issues of any other IMU solution, not very good, and they really went off the rails with their pricing from their initial cost offering stated, so it won't be a viable solution for many users anyway at that price point, plus they want to charge more for finger sensor gloves, not even available with their suit yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:11 pm 

Wireless Vive to be released soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmlQLlAw-U

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 am 

I mean for supplementing the visual tracking data during recording, just like the psmove controllers do today. Vive just announced the small trackers that will be possible to attach to props or wrists. Shown recently to work with ie PN to generate precise hand and finger movements since the IMU's from PN dont have the quality positional data, combined with the Vive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:27 am 

Oh I see what you are referring to, a new type hand controller from Vive.

Possibly iPi could incorporate that at some point.

There was a wrist strap a few years ago that was attempting this also that iPi was researching, but I don't know what ever came of it.

It was just announced at CES 2017, so probably still a wait to even get to real world testing even with the Vive or IMU systems.

If incorporates the finger movement as accurately as described, would be a plus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 am 

Snapz wrote:
...There was a wrist strap a few years ago that was attempting this also that iPi was researching, but I don't know what ever came of it.

A few years ago, iPi Soft was looking at Myo, which used a strap on the forearm to read electrical signals from your muscles. It was a neat idea but I think the tech turned out to be mainly useful for reading hand gestures in a broad sense but not very useful for recording accurate hand/fingers motions.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:25 pm 

Yeah, that was it, I remember now it was just for finger tracking purposes.

This new Vive controller is stated to have promise, but how hard it will be for iPi to implement, if at all possible is another thing.

First has to be released so iPi can get the SDK, looks like Noitom (Perception Neuron) got hold of it, so we'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 am 

A work in progress from HTC Vive and Ikinema:

https://ikinema.com/orion

With the wireless headset this could be a very interesting product, but could be better if was just a head controller instead of full headset just for creating animations, they made extra controllers already and the new hand controllers, so maybe a separate head controller will be implemented too.

I can most likely expect it would be compatible with all motions, especially fast motions, but seems very interesting and I would like to see more demonstrations in more extreme actions.

Waiting to see if this will also be compatible with the HTC Vive setup using Ikinema Action 3 and UE4: Would be nice if could be streamed live to other software as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQfIW3ALGSs

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]