Change font size
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 am 
iPi Soft

I've actually never tried Kinect v1 with 9x series chipset. But I saw on MS support that people say it does work but only for single sensor, multiple sensors don't. So if you are going to use dual Kinect setup with a single PC then most likely you'll need an additional USB controller anyway.

As I said earlier the best candidates are PCIe USB 3.0 cards based on NEC/Renesas USB chip (this should be mentioned somewhere in specs, otherwise don't buy it). There are plenty of cards of different manufacturers depending on your region so it doesn't make sense to recommend any specific one. Depending on your budget and available slots on the motherboard you may consider:
- one single-chip card, if you manage to get one of Kinects working with your onboard Intel controller
- two single-chip cards to connect both Kinects
- one dual-chip card to connect both Kinects. Such card has 2x USB controller chips with 1 or 2 ports per chip, costs substantially higher and usually has PCIe x4 mount (while single-chip cards have PCIe x1). Here is an example https://www.amazon.com/FebSmart-Supersp ... 07NTZ84LD/

However if your issue is in software (OS, drivers, conflicting software) then even new USB controllers may not help.
How do Kinect-related devices look in Device Manager (as far as I recall there's a dedicated "Kinect" node on the top level)? Do they show any error status, do they appear/disappear periodically?
Is "Kinect Management" Windows service running?

I don't think USB hub will change anything. Anyway you won't be able to connect both Kinects to a single hub.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:16 am 

vmaslov wrote:
I've actually never tried Kinect v1 with 9x series chipset. But I saw on MS support that people say it does work but only for single sensor, multiple sensors don't. So if you are going to use dual Kinect setup with a single PC then most likely you'll need an additional USB controller anyway.

As I said earlier the best candidates are PCIe USB 3.0 cards based on NEC/Renesas USB chip (this should be mentioned somewhere in specs, otherwise don't buy it). There are plenty of cards of different manufacturers depending on your region so it doesn't make sense to recommend any specific one. Depending on your budget and available slots on the motherboard you may consider:
- one single-chip card, if you manage to get one of Kinects working with your onboard Intel controller
- two single-chip cards to connect both Kinects
- one dual-chip card to connect both Kinects. Such card has 2x USB controller chips with 1 or 2 ports per chip, costs substantially higher and usually has PCIe x4 mount (while single-chip cards have PCIe x1). Here is an example https://www.amazon.com/FebSmart-Supersp ... 07NTZ84LD/

However if your issue is in software (OS, drivers, conflicting software) then even new USB controllers may not help.
How do Kinect-related devices look in Device Manager (as far as I recall there's a dedicated "Kinect" node on the top level)? Do they show any error status, do they appear/disappear periodically?
Is "Kinect Management" Windows service running?

as shown in these 3 photos, there is a tree of things for kinect that quickly pop up and continue to disappear, i have to screenshot really quickly and try to click on the properties of these things before they refresh device manager and disappear for another second. https://imgur.com/a/PTxNSgF

i also managed to check what theyre saying in their properties just as they do the disconnection (the code 45 thing), before that happens, they just say the device is working upon reappearing

I don't think USB hub will change anything. Anyway you won't be able to connect both Kinects to a single hub.[/quote]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 am 
iPi Soft

I see. Still not sure whether it's hardware or software problem. You may try to ask at Microsoft forums about your issue although Kinect v1 is long out of production and I believe of official support as well.
I think PCIe USB card is worth trying - look previous post about choosing the right one. But there is no gurantee it'll work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:47 am 

vmaslov wrote:
I see. Still not sure whether it's hardware or software problem. You may try to ask at Microsoft forums about your issue although Kinect v1 is long out of production and I believe of official support as well.
I think PCIe USB card is worth trying - look previous post about choosing the right one. But there is no gurantee it'll work.

so if i was to avoid all this trouble by using a ps3 eye camera instead, how do those fare for motion capture? isnt there some kind of extra 3d drawing process you have to do or something like that? (and more cameras needed?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 am 
iPi Soft

There pros and cons in both Kinects and PS Eyes when using with our software. Check this page for comparison:
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Multiple_Depth_Sensors_vs_Web_Cameras_vs_Action_Cameras_Comparison

Usually, Kinects are easier to use so your case looks like an exception :)
With PS Eyes, you'll need more cameras (4-6 for a single actor) because more view points are needed for RGB tracking compared to depth. This also results in a slower speed of the tracking process on the same GPU. You may still need an additional USB controller depending on how many cameras you want to use and at which frame rate.
Requirements are stricter for environment lighting and background, and for actor clothing compared to Kinects.
Regarding the process. Calibration of the scene is similar (RGB only supports a light marker), you just need to touch the floor a few times additionally. Tracking differs in that you need to set up colors of an actor in addition to body proportions. Otherwise it's mostly the same.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 15 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2