Change font size
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm 

New user and poster, but I couldn't find much information on this with searching.

I am using 5 Sony PS3 cameras on a Dell Prec T7610 Win7 desktop machine with dual GTX-770 cards. Using hte most recent version 3 of Studio

I am tracking brightly colored, but barefoot, subjects (green pants, tan feet) in a brightly lit room on a concrete floor, with good or perfect calibration files.

Many times in my trials, on 2 different subjects, I get the feet turning completely backwards from the motion of the person. I almost seems like the computer has a specific glitch because the legs line up so perfectly to 180 degrees off where they should. And it seems like hte upper leg is turned arroun b\c the shape of the butt is missing.

When the actor sits down, enough knee flexion will get the feet to align straight, so I guess the skeleton is constrained in some way to make sure.

Much more rare, the feet turn 90 deg to the movement, but again in a way that isn't physically possible.

Anyone elese seeing this, and what are you doing to improve or overcome?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:31 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
Can you provide a sample project (along with the video file) that suffers from this issue?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:29 pm 

how do I post a project? I get an error...

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:31 pm 

how do I post a project? I get an error...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 am 
iPi Soft

The forum accepts a limited range of file extensions in attachments - mainly images and archives.
However, when passing large files like iPiVideo you should not try to put them in attachments. Rather use some file sharing service like Google Drive or Dropbox.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 pm 

I have seen so many times in posts about the feet when people are using concrete floors.

I would try a lighter carpet on capture volume and using black socks or all black shoes will probably help.

Not having any major similar colors of the feet in view of the cameras while tracking is another thing to consider.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:36 pm 

I don't know how helpful my experience and observations will be since these days I'm mainly using multiple Kinect devices but here goes:

Whenever I've had feet issues, it's usually because the ground plane clips too much of the feet data. Using the new ground level adjuster to raise the point cloud should help improve feet tracking by giving them a little more 'clearance'. This will also help when the actor is crouched low and has knees to the ground or is otherwise sitting on the ground.

In the past I also ran into issues with legs and feet because of mismatches between the length of the performer and actor's limbs. In the past I had to work around the issue by changing the scale of actor in certain 'trouble spots' during tracking. This may not be necessary if you're using the most recent version of Mocap Studio because now you can adjust the the limbs of the actor to more accurately fit the recorded proportions of the performer. If you haven't updated to get this feature, I highly recommend it.

I hope this info helps. For us, the recent updates have simplified tracking and significantly improved the quality of our motions.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 pm 

Oh, one more thing: When recording motions, I like to wear boots or walking shoes with thick soles to give a little more 'bulk' to my feet. I find this helps significantly for improving the stability and accuracy of feet tracking. This might not be necessary with the adjustable ground plane but it's something to keep in mind if you continue have problems with the feet.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]