Change font size
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:27 am 

I'll try a last time to have it work. Thank you in advance for tips and tricks.
The problem is that I can't post video or project files for the moment.
I'll try to explain my setup the best I can.

I have:

- 4x5 meters room
- a ps eye at each corner: . two of them at 1.65m height (roughly)
. two others at 1.40m height (roughly)

I managed to get a decent calibration, so that's why I don't understand the following:
- The skin is never at the same spot in all cameras, there is always a little offset in one or two cameras.
- The refit pose is not working 95% of the time (arms and body parts going in wrong directions), and when it does "kind of", I have to make the character smaller than it really is, and the feet are at ankle level.
- Therefore, no good tracking is possible.

I have a long beard and a baldness on half my head. I guess this information is important because it may be the cause of a bad refit pose process or bad tracking, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:34 pm 

This is referring to Version 3 of the program:

First, for PS Eyes your room size is at the minimum really, so this will cause a smaller capture volume of roughly 2.5m x 4m, 2.5m being forward and backward. (roughly)

for this size room, you could try raising your cameras to 2m + roughly, and point them at the chest, NOT at a spot on the floor and use a dead center marker on the floor for all cameras that looks relative in all view ports to center of each viewports cam view maximum, allowing full upward arm extension or close to full as possible standing at the dead center marker on the floor.

Doing the above will give your cameras a wider view, since room isn't optimal size, but you may loose a bit of accuracy on the shoulder raise at times, when tracked by video. Once you hit refit, you should get very little offset of actor to performer... better to make sure all your cameras are set at a level lateral position or very close.

No, a beard isn't good, especially not a long one that blocks the front neck color, will cause poorer neck tracking, and you could wear a small beanie or head wrap on head, darker color works better.

Calibration should be done with the light used taped to a dow or sturdy stick, I use a 1m x 1/2 PVC pipe, limit floor touches to 4 corners seen by all cameras fully and one in the middle and just a couple rotations of full capture volume will suffice, no need to go crazy with the "cage". (just try to never occlude the light from any camera).

Without seeing what your getting in some screenshots, its hard to tell what your results are, but your issues sound easily remedied with just a few tweaks and wearing proper clothing, darker colors contrasting to background and good surrounding ambient lighting. (light clothing cause issues with shadows which will transfer to tracking quality).

2d cameras do not have good depth perception, I would personally use a different cam configuration in a triangle set up and one very high, (2.5m), center front camera for better foot tracking a bit closer in toward the center point, but I found 4 cams you just can't get optimal tracking, (my opinion), I am glad they updated Basic version to handle 6 now, I get much better results and still retain good processing speeds.

2 years and no good results sounds very odd, you can see users getting very good results with the program using PS Eyes in the videos Index, so I don't really know why your having issues just getting some usable recordings, but I hope some of the above helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:28 pm 

Thank you very much for your detailled and very useful explanation, I think I have a better idea now.
First of all, I'm using v2.
Then I think my problem comes down to 4 major things:

- 4 ps-eye config (which I didn't know gives poor tracking)
- Cameras height.
- bad room area
- clothing I was generally using isn't appropriate (colors)

Which are a lot of bad points I admit, but at least, this post gave me more hope to continue.
So thank you again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:49 pm 

4 cams will track ok, just need better positioning and of course V3 is a bit better than V2, but V2 works good too.

Hope you can get it to work better.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]