Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:35 pm 

Hey, everybody! Sorry, I'm new here, but this issue has been driving me crazy. I'm making a simple Rock-Paper-Scissors animation as a test, and I naturally want to use the in-app pose system iPi has (http://wiki.ipisoft.com/Getting_started ... keyframing). But, to the best of my ability, I can't seem to implement any custom poses. I'm following the wiki to the T, and the poses I save simply aren't showing up as an option. I'd really like to use this, as the default ones works super well (can already use fist for rock); I just feel like I'm missing something obvious.

For the record, I'm able to copy and paste the pose; I just can't attach it to a keyframe. It lasts one frame and then snaps back to mocap, where as the defaults naturally blend. Dunno if that helps, but none of this makes any sense to me.

Also, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:01 pm 
iPi Soft

Hi

When pasting a pose which contains fingers rotations different from the current pose in a frame, a keyframe is created automatically.
To make your custom hand pose appear in the context menu for keyframes you just need to save it to a file. Saved pose should only contain finger bones: select LHand or RHand bone and execute Copy Selected Bone's Children command from Edit menu to get such pose. Then execute Save Pose to File from Clipboard.\

Maybe you can make a screencast of what you do?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:16 pm 

Hey! Thanks so much for responding. I'm pretty sure I've done everything you've listed correctly (as that's what the wiki told me to do, as well). Hoping I'm just missing something. Here's a link to what I've been trying to do: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1vVQ ... zh3SVl6V3M

Really sorry about the crap quality (captured from my phone), but it was the best I could do with the time I had. I'd imagine it's pretty tough to see, but I basically rotate a finger bone, click the hand associated with the bone, go to Edit -> Copy pose of selected bone with children, go to Edit -> Save pose to file from clipboard, save to Desktop, and then go to the contextual poses and it's still only Default, Resting and Fist. I even try going to Edit -> Load pose from file to clipboard, but nothing happens. I can paste them into the timeline, but only for a frame. I want the pose to last and blend like the defaults do.

I've also tried saving as both file types for the poses. The video has me saving as the default, but neither type was successful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:43 am 
iPi Soft

wisekev wrote:
go to Edit -> Copy pose of selected bone with children

That's it! You should use Copy pose of selected bone's children command. That is, without LHand/RHand bone itself.

wisekev wrote:
I can paste them into the timeline, but only for a frame.

Pasting poses with fingers rotations or editing fingers rotations manually creates a keyframe automatically. With blending before and persistent pose after.

Hand keyframes do not include wrist rotations, only fingers. Maybe this is what confuses you. You can capture wrist rotations with motion controllers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 pm 

Yep, that did it. Thanks so much! Unfortunately, as you had already pointed out, I was hoping to be able to pose wrists along with the fingers, but I guess I'll just need to invest in some hand tracking controllers. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 am 

Until you get Move controllers, you can use a wrist pinning trick to lock the wrist in a set position for as many frames as you need, or slightly move its rotations through frames.

To do this, select the Rotate Tool, select the hand wanted, go to start key frame wanting bend to start, rotate hand to desired position **but don't let go of the mouse button** then use the arrow keys next to the "M" key to advance one frame at a time, on each progressive frame slightly move the mouse and the previous hand position will snap to that frame **still holding the mouse button down throughout the amount of frames you need, repeat the process on each frame, then release mouse button when done.

You can also use the same technique to pass the snap effect, by continuing the mouse movements slightly from frame to frame, just by moving the mouse slightly more in the trajectory you want wrist to bend. **you would want to let go of mouse button after each move to use this method, but if you mess up, no worries, just go back to previous frame (<) and start again to get same wrist snap, or correct the rotation/position.

No, this isn't an optimal way for a lot of wrist motions, Moves would work best, but for slight positioning adjusting/pinning it works fine once get the hang of it.

This pinning effect can be used on any single bone rotation, or positioning and can work for stable foot and hand positioning as well, but you would have to work from the parent bones down in some cases, like the feet, or may get strange leg bone looks if too far off. **only adjust one bone at a time this way and work to foot**

Also, when using hand pose presets, you can grab the small ramp on the hand key and stretch it or contract it, but has to be showing the small double white arrow icon, (not the black one), for different speeds of action. **holding the shift key while dragging will give more precise movement**

Most users would just go into an external editor and use layers and pose libraries to perform most of this stuff, but slight corrections before export it can be handy.

Maybe this technique can help you inside iPi though for now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]