Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:35 pm 

Hey, everybody!

I want to record head tracking in iPi, but I'm having a bit of an issue pairing my PS Move controller to my BT adapter (using a Windows 10 machine). I have a pretty good idea as to why: my BT adapter is 4.0, and I had read elsewhere on these forums that 2.1 is the safest bet. However, I was able to pair my PS Move controller with the BT adapter (using PSMoveService from GitHub), and my computer recognizes the Move as a usable device. I can even calibrate it within the aforementioned service. So, why is it that iPi Recorder can't recognize it?

Also, when I try to pair it within Recorder, the software recognizes my adapter, asks me to plug in my Move controller, and then does nothing. I hit continue and nothing happens. So, I dunno. I guess I've concluded that I'll need a 2.1 adapter; it's just odd to me that the computer recognizes the device and the software doesn't. I've also tried Motioninjoy, for the record, and it simply doesn't recognize the adapter (even when I use this trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0t65_MwWE). I'm hoping that maybe I'm missing something, and that I can actually use my 4.0 adapter with iPi.

If not, are there any adapters that are absolutely sure to work on a Win 10 machine? I'm cautious of buying an adapter only to have it not work.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:09 pm 

Asus BT 211, if you can find one, try eBay, other 2.1's may work, but Asus is the safest, I am on Win 10 with no issues using MiJ tool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:18 am 
iPi Soft

I have updated the list of tested dongles (MiJ + Win10) in online docs:
http://docs.ipisoft.com/PlayStation_Move_with_Motion_in_Joy_drivers#Notes
I suppose any dongle based on CSR8510 chip will work, but would not bet on it. There are plenty of them available at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bluetooth+dongle+4.0+CSR8510

Anyway, sorry for this inconvenience. We plan to rework support for PS Move so that it works on Win8+ without MiJ. However, it's not that easy and is not of high priority currently.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:24 am 

I was using an IOGear BT 4.0/USB 3.0 on Win 7 successfully, DS3 Tool wasn't needed, but when switched to Win 10, the DS3 Tool wouldn't recognize that dongle, so maybe the issue with pairing is in the MiJ tool?

The Bluetooth version can maybe be 4.0, but I believe the USB version may still need to be 2.0 to work with the DS3 Tool, that tool is pretty old and no one has updated it in forever.

Thanks for updating the list, all those are USB 2.0, may help users find compatible dongles since Asus 211 is hard to come by now at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:06 pm 

Yes, thanks for the updated news about BT/PS Move support. It was much easier to get this to work a couple of years go (i.e., under Win 7), so it's good to know you're working on improving support for Win 8/10 and the future.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:02 pm 

Hey, guys! Sorry for the long silence, but I've been dealing with technical issues. Long story short, I think MiJ messed up my Win 10 install, so I had to reinstall Win 7. Silver lining: mocap with the Move works perfect with my original adapter. So, sorry I couldn't help you troubleshoot more Win 10 issues with iPi, but, for what it's worth I can tell you which adapters didn't work.

I used theses Plugable (https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469144940&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+bt+adapter) and Startech adapters (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007019U4O/ref=twister_B00UWGTIJ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1).

The Plugable wasn't recognized at all by MiJ, but was recognized as an adapter by iPi, it just would't get past the connect PS Move via USB screen. The Startech was recognized by MiJ, but as soon as I made the drivers, iPi wouldn't recognize the adapter. It would if I didn't make the drivers, but then I'd have the same issue as with the Plugable. Looking at the device manage, it seems that MiJ destroys the BT drivers and remakes them as X360 input drivers. I dunno. But it would explain why iPi was having none of it.

Again, sorry if that wasn't particularly helpful; figured I'd just share the process. I am using the Plugable on Win 7, though, and it's really nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 am 
iPi Soft

wisekev wrote:
The Startech was recognized by MiJ, but as soon as I made the drivers, iPi wouldn't recognize the adapter. It would if I didn't make the drivers, but then I'd have the same issue as with the Plugable. Looking at the device manage, it seems that MiJ destroys the BT drivers and remakes them as X360 input drivers. I dunno. But it would explain why iPi was having none of it.

Yes, MiJ completely replaces standard Bluetooth drivers for adapater. And iPi Recorder does not see the adapter, but there is no need for it.
When working via MiJ, you should not use pairing procedure in iPi Recorder, just pair with MiJ DS3 tool. And iPi Recorder shows connected PS Moves in its device list.
http://docs.ipisoft.com/PlayStation_Move_with_Motion_in_Joy_drivers#Detection_in_iPi_Recorder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:40 pm 

Right, that's what I was expecting. But it wasn't showing up in the device's list. And, while Windows had actually recognized the motion controller as a Bluetooth device using a separate pairing tool, iPi wouldn't see it. That's when I used MiJ, where the device was paired, but iPi still wouldn't recognize it with the Startech adapter. I thought maybe it was because the Bluetooth driver wasn't maintained, but if that's what happens with all MiJ drivers, then I don't know. I just know it didn't show up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 pm 

That is correct, Win 10 will show as X Box 360 in device manager once you use the DS3 tool drivers.

I am taking it you were connecting the USB to each Move to pair them with the tool?

There is instructions in the iPi docs on how to do it correctly.

BUT... since you rolled back to Win 7, all that is moot now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 am 

I just bought 3 Moves and realized how crap this MiJ thing is. And it doesn't work with my Asus BT400. So currently the viable solution is to install Win7 (currently on Win10) and buy an older bt adapter?

Using these instructions I was able to pair at least one Move and calibrate it:

https://github.com/HipsterSloth/psmove- ... p-(Windows)

And Windows says "Motion Controller: Connected" but it doesn't show up in iPi Recorder.

It would be nice to be able to use Moves without the MiJ... Would it be hard to support this kind of external pairing in Win10?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next