Change font size
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:15 pm 

Hi,

This is something I should have mentioned quite a while back because I think Recorder has behaved this way ever since Multi-Kinect 2 support became available. Anyway, here goes:

After recording a calibration or motion footage, if I click the Play button to check my result, and then return to the Recording tab, Recorder will lose its Background Evaluation for the Master, and I must back up and record it again before I can proceed. Could it be made possible for Recorder to remember the BG Evaluation after checking the footage?

Another issue is that when I return to the Recording tab, Recorder will forget that it was connected to slaves on the network. There have been a few times where I started recording and didn't realize the slaves were no longer connected, ruining a recording. Could it be made so Recorder remembers that it was connected?

I don't recall this being a problem back when I was using the old Kinect for Windows sensors (of course, I was not using distributed recording back then either...maybe that's when things changed?) My memory might be faulty but I seem to remember that the editing and playback panes were not modal back then and I could freely switch between that mode and recording.

Even if that wasn't exactly how it worked, it would be nice if we could have it work this way.

Thanks in advance for listening guys!

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:57 pm 

Oh, I just stumbled on something I wasn't aware of. If I launch the footage from the drive while Recorder is already open and in Recording mode, a second instance of Recorder will open in Play mode.

I haven't tested this yet but it appears to allow me to manage the files without interfering with the Record tab's Background Evaluation or Slave Connections in the first window. In other words, I might never lose the Background Evaluation data or have to reconnect to the other computers.

This makes me wonder if a button could be added to the Record tab that will lauch Play/Edit in a separate non-modal window as described above?

Or is there something like that already but I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks for your consideration and assistance.

Still need to test this situation to see if it will do what I want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:54 am 
iPi Soft

Yes, record/check/return scenario is supported poorly in the current version.
Thanks for bringing attention to this issue.
Cannot promise it will be addressed shortly, but it surely will.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:32 am 

Thanks Vmaslov.

I worked with the two instances of Recorder running last night--one in Record mode and the other in Play/Edit mode--and it seemed to work fine. I wondered if having the second instance open might affect recording performance but the affect seems to be minimal to none. Just mentioning this for other users who might want to try this.

Since my tablet computer appears to handle Kinect One better than the workstation, I think I might switch to using that device as the Master. Will report on how well that works later this week.

I think I just need to replace some of the 'ancient' computers we have here but that will take time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:25 am 

Just following up with another example.

My Move Controllers timed out, so I went to reconnect them in the Home panel. By going to the Home panel, however, I had to once again record a BG Evaluation and reconnect the Slave before I could return to capture.

Actually, I failed to notice the Slave was also disconnected because I returned to Home, which of course ruined my next recording until I caught the error.

This particular case is not really a big deal but there seems to be many situations that force the user to record new BG Evaluations and reconnect Slaves unnecessarily. I feel this area of the current workflow needs to be re-thought a bit.

Thanks for listening.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]