Change font size
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am 

Hello everyone,

I'm doing my thesis project with iPi Mocap Studio 3, during the project I found some difficulties, one of them is the calibration with three Kinect v2 devices. I never get " perfect" results but in rare cases I obtain " good" results. I calibrated with a small flashlight and the distance between the devices is 5m. Is it better use Psmove or a simple maglite?

Are there different ways to calibrate and obtain good results? Show me how. Is that way easier than the flashlight method?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:52 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
Calibration with a light marker is the only method available for 3 Kinects.
Bad calibration results are usually linked with misdetection of the marker on a video, which may be caused by various reasons.
Whether your flashlight has "candle" mode and do you use it? It is important that light propagates in all directions so all cameras can see it simultaneously.
Do you dim lights during recording to ensure the flashlight is the brightest spot on video?
Do you hold the flashlight in a stretched arm to minimize its occlusion with your body?
If you share one of your calibration videos (with any cloud storage service) then I will be able to identify your problems more precisely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 am 

Also, make sure you don't have any reflective surfaces in the room that can throw off calibration. Such surfaces should become obvious during tracking. If you see it happening, try covering that surface with something non-reflective, like a blanket.

Light occlusion can be an issue too. Make sure the light is visible to all devices as much as possible and not being blocked by your arm, head or body. Some users will mount the light to a long stick or boom to keep from getting in the way.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]