Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 am 

Hi,

New user here. I'm using the free trial of Mocap Studio (version 4.0.3.x) and ipi Recorder. I have 2 Kinect sensors. I'm following the wiki instructions on how to calibrate multiple cameras (this page http://docs.ipisoft.com/User_Guide_for_ ... alibration). It says to open a new project, and select calibration type project from the new project wizard. However, I don't see this option - all I get is a window asking me to select a video file, and then to specify actor dimensions. After that, there don't seem to be any options for calibration.

Super confused. Is calibration possible with the free trial? The docs seem to say the free trial is equivalent to the Basic license, which allows up to 2 Kinect sensors.

PS there are lots of videos out there on how to calibrate, however all seem to involve flapping a piece of cardboard around - the wiki says to use a point light source. Is the wiki out of date or are the videos out of date?

Many thanks!

James

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 pm 
iPi Soft

Hi
Most probably the video you're opening was recorded with a single Kinect. That's why the program doesn't allow to select between calibration/action projects.
When software did not support more than 2 Kinects there was the only calibration method - with a board. For calibrating more than 2 sensors we've introduced a new method with a light marker similar to that used for color cameras. For dual sensor configuration both methods are supported. But from our experience the new method produces more accurate results so we recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:48 am 

Great, thanks for the response! Yes, the problem turned out to be that i was opening a recording from a single camera. I assumed that I had to record each camera separately. It took me a while to piece together bits of information from various wiki pages, but I think I have it figured out now.

I love the product, but can I suggest that the wiki is improved? For example, neither the tutorial page I was following for how to use multiple depth cameras (link in my origin post) or the recording workflow that page links to (http://docs.ipisoft.com/iPi_Recorder_Us ... g_Workflow) mention slaves, slave mode, connecting to slaves or anything like that. It makes the wiki quite hard to follow, as there are lots of disjointed and missing pieces of info. Also it does not explain the different types of calibration (light and cardboard) and when which is used, as you have explained in your answer. I'd be happy to contribute to the wiki if this would help.

One question: I found it almost impossible to get the light marker calibration to work without making the room very dark. Does this have to be done in a dark room or am I perhaps doing it wrong?

Many thanks for your help!

James

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am 
iPi Soft

Thanks for your feedback, we'll try to improve our docs. There is special article covering distributed recording
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Distributed_Recording

Yes, for calibration with the light marker it is usually required to dim lighting. This is needed for reliable detection of the marker. The brighter is the marker, the lighter environment is acceptable.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]