Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:05 pm 

Hi there, I have a pretty modern laptop, though I am not sure if it has the controllers to handle 6 PSeyes. I'm skeptical, but please confirm my fears.

If this laptop can't run 6, what's the max amount of PSeyes I can run? I'm guessing 3?

Follow up question. I'm aware of the method to run 2 Kinect V2s on one machine. Do you think I could do it on this laptop. Here are the specs:

Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz 6 Cores.
RAM 16 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 2GB
Intel UGH Graphics 630
500GB SSD

With my current setup controllers and specs as described above, what's the most accurate setup for tracking fast dancing. The movements will mostly be semi stationary. The movements will be centered around a 2m x 2m area.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am 

Sorry. Here is a working img link.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:36 am 
iPi Soft

Hi

Performance-wise, your config looks adequate for capturing with either 6 PS Eyes or 2 Kinect v2. If you plan to do long recording sessions with high amount of recorded material (1 hour or more) then you may need additional storage for recordings.

The main concern is about USB controllers and ports. From your screenshots I see you've got 2 USB 3.1 controllers - Intel and NVidia. Intel controllers are well compatible with both PS Eye and Kinects. Not sure about NVidia though as we did not have a chance to test them.

Modern Intel controllers usually support running 4 PS Eye cameras at full 60 fps. In case NVidia doesn't have compatibility issues with PS Eye you should be able to run 6 PS Eye cameras provided you've got enough USB ports to connect them. Most likely you'll need to use active USB 2.0 hub(s) for that. Even if NVidia turns out to be incompatible (frame drops, no picture at all etc) you have an option to connect all 6 PS Eye cameras to Intel controller at reduced frame rate of 40-50 fps. Don't forget to use active USB 2.0 extension cables to connect cameras placed at large distance from the laptop.

As for Kinects, it again depends on whether NVidia controller has good compatibility with the device. If yes, you can run 2 Kinect v2 without a hassle. Also, don't forget to use an active USB 3.0 extension cable when you need to place a Kinect far from the laptop.

For dance motions of a single person in a limited space (2x2 m) both 6x PS Eye (circle) and 2x Kinect v2 (180 degrees) configurations work great. However, if motions are actually fast, or feature many self-occlusions, or require more space then PS Eye setup looks more beneficial due to higher frame rate, greater number of POVs and greater range of operation. I suggest you to check the comparison table of different setups in our docs to make a more informed decision considering your specific requirements.
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Multiple_Depth_Sensors_vs_Web_Cameras_vs_Action_Cameras_Comparison

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]