Change font size
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:27 am 

Hi,

I have 6 PS Eye cameras and 3 Move controllers. But I think I have a problem. My rooms size is 3,13 x 4 meter. If I place 4 cameras to corners can it be usable?

Otherside I have an attic but its size is a odd.

This is the plan of the attic. I have enough space in first look but these columns and ceiling is a problem I think.

If I set the system probably I will do it like that

In left setup, center area is free but cameras on the left height can be maximum 1,2 meters.
In right setup, camera height can be 1,7 - 2 meters but center area is not free.

Can I use my room to use mocap? Should I use attic? What can I do?

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:08 am 
iPi Soft

Hello,
coulmns in the middle would definitely mess tracking if they are inside capture area.
Based on your space configuration and dimensions I think that 2 depth sensors would be a better option compared to RGB cameras, just because minimum distance from actor to RGB camera is substantially bigger than to depth sensors.
However, for PS3 eye camera you do not necessarily need to have square space.
It can be rectangle with around 4 x 8 meters size to the left of columns.
You can use 4 cameras placed in the corners or (if your hardware permits recording with 6 cameras) all 6 cameras (3 cameras on each of opposite short sides of rectangle).
Adding 2 more cameras in addition to 4 placed in corners can sligtly improve tracking, just because having more views is always beneficial. But you can't expect big difference in you case, just because cameras are placed close to each other.
To improve results, you need to place 2 cameras as high as possible.

I also think that window can cause lighting issues to both options (depth sensors and RGB cameras).
Direct sinlight is not good for any of them. So you need to cover the window and use electic lighting.

You can try to implement my recommendations and send your recording (.iPiVideo and .iPiMotion files) to our support e-mail in order we could give specific recommendations.

Attachments:
Attic-conf.jpg
Attic-conf.jpg [ 33.65 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:27 am 

Hi,
Thanks for your return. I will do your suggestions and I will buy additional lights. There is a one more question. How many meters should the minimum height of cameras be?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 pm 

Pas beat me to it but I use motion sensors in a fairly small room and I fully agree with his post.

If you want more space, use a 90 degree setup with the sensors pointed to a corner. This can be more accurate for 'camera facing' motions. If you need distance like when recording a short walk, or complex turning motions, you can try a 180 setup along the left side of the space, or possibly along the right side depending on how clearly both sensors can see you.

As for height, I generally have my sensors positioned about four to five feet from the floor. I may set them higher or lower depending on the type of motion I'm trying to capture.

You'll probably want to put up a curtain to block out the sunlight coming in from the window during the day and the glass reflection at night. They have shades and fabric called 'blackout' material that works great for this. But it really doesn't have to be 100% lightproof, just opaque enough so the light and surface it isn't problematic for the sensors.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]