Change font size
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am 

Hello, I was wondering how much space will I need for a 3 cam setup? im a bit space limited! I would maybe need a 2mth square area to walk in nothing more, so how far back would each playstation cam need to be from the middle of this 2 mth area would you think?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am 

It depends on the action you want to record. If your performer is not turning around much, you can minimize the shoot space to maybe 10 ft. I did my first tests a couple of years ago in my living room with three Logitech cameras. The room is about 16 feet wide and I was able to put a camera on each side, but the cameras had to be placed fairly high up and pointing downwards. The 'forward' camera was placed much lower (below eye level.) This really wasn't ideal placement but I got okay results for the time. It should work better with the new software and PS3 cameras.

These days I use six cameras in a two car garage, arranged in a slightly wider than semi-circle configuration, which gives me about 6 to 7 square feet of usable performance space in a back corner of the garage. I think the garage is 16 x 20 ft, maybe a little smaller--I'll have to check. (You can see a pic of it on my blog here. The space is a smaller than it looks in this pic by the way thanks to the 'magic' of the wide angle lens.)

If you have very limited space, the Kinect version might be better. I would wait for the beta to come out and read all the 'early adopter' comments.

G.

Edit: I said 'capture space' in the first paragraph, but I meant 'shoot space'. Big difference. (Corrected.)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 pm 

Thanks well my living room is about 11x11 but it also has another room leading off it like this:

|
|
|
|
| |
| |
| |
| |
________________________|_____________________

(living room is the left one!)

Maybe thats ok for now as I dont plan to be running about loads ill need maybe 2mtr square to move about if its poss...

Hmm this might be tricky!

What is Kinect version? 1 cam? and thanks for link it looks a good setup you have

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:04 pm 

Ok the drawing failed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:39 pm 

If you put the cameras in three corners and perform near the fourth corner, I think you'll be okay That's essentially what I'm doing, just with more cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:49 pm 

shoki wrote:
What is Kinect version? 1 cam? and thanks for link it looks a good setup you have

It's the second version of iPi Studio which hasn't been released yet. It's limited to one Kinect camera, but it can work in a smaller space. The lack of multiple views is somewhat made up for with the Kinect's z-depth buffer. Don't expect to be able to do complex walking around and turning motions but it should be good for many 'to the camera' performances.

Here's a video from iPi Soft:

iPi Kinect Test 2

Beta testing is supposed to start next week.

G.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:31 pm 

ok great thanks for the help! I just got a coupld more bits to get then im going to give it a shot.

Oh Kinect does look ideal and results look good also! I wonder if I can get on the beta (hint hint to anyone!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:40 pm 

Yes, Kinect version is very cool! I know these videos are from the earliest tests so I hope the feet will be more stable when they go to beta. Other than that, the motion looks pretty clean.

FYI, the feet stay locked down very well in the PS3 Eye version.

I love my PS3 Eye version and I think it will continue to be more suitable for 'professional' level work, but I think the Kinect version is going to be a good choice for a broader range of users.

G.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 pm 

it does look like it will suit me well also, I might even wait till it comes out rather than buying the other versions im not sure.

Dont suppose you know what they are doing about beta do you ? will it be a trial download I could get? I cant find info on that. Well if it is good for professional level work then maybe this is the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:53 pm 

I don't know how they will handle the Kinect beta, but I imagine there will be an announcement soon.

The way it was done for the Standard (PS3 Eye Camera) version was that they sold the beta at a heavily discounted price, which went up after the product went to version 1.0. Running the Standard version in trial mode was always free. Perhaps they will do something similar for the Kinect version.

G.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next