Change font size
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:32 pm 

Greetings all

Due to a lack of space and the need to be mobile, I want to use a laptop set-up for all phases of the motion capture process. I just wanted to check with you guys that the following specifications with be sufficient to undertake the jobs required of it:

1. Asus G70S-7S007C Notebook Core 2 Duo (T9300) 2.5GHz 4096MB (2x2048MB) 640GB 17 inch WXGA+ TFT Blu-Ray Drive LAN WLAN BT Vista Home Premium (GeForce 8700M GT X2)

2. Toshiba Qosmio G50-127 18.4 inch Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, DVDSMDL, Vista Home Premium, TV Tuner (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT supporting TurboCache technology)

I know that they both support DirectX 10 and SM 4.0, but are not as good as the cards you recommend. I know you don't support dual graphic processors - but would the 8700 still be a good choice?

I just wanted to know if there were any issues with these laptops, before I purchase one of them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a better laptop? (around the £1200 range)

Cheers Owain

btw - This software is incredible! Way to go ipisoft!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:06 pm 
iPi Soft

Both models you mentioned are very good laptops.

Our software is not yet capable of taking advantage of dual GeForce 8700M GT in ASUS model. Support for multi-GPU configurations in our software will probably only be implemented in several months from now. So currently, Toshiba laptop with 9600M GT is a faster choice. It should also have much better battery life because 9600M uses smaller 65nm process compared to dual-chip 80nm 8700M SLI. By the way, in the future dual GeForce 8700M is expected to have only slight speed advantage (approximately 50%) judging from 3D MARK scores:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 449.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 933.0.html

In general, we do not recommend notebooks for serious markerless mocap processing. All notebooks have thermal constraints. Because of this, no notebook can even remotely compare to desktop video cards in speed. For example, even a crazy expensive notebook with GeForce 280M video card is slower then desktop PC with sub-$100 GeForce 9800 GT video card. NVIDIA's notebook video card labeling is very misleading because their notebook video card model labels are completely unrelated to desktop model labels.

A more practical workflow is to use a notebook for video capture and preview and a desktop for video processing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]