Change font size
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Will this work for me?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:23 am 

Hi! New member here! I've recently found out about these programs, and I'm intrigued. I've been working in Poser software for a long time, but the animations are just a pain in the ass to complete. I've got a Kinect 2 that's little more than a voice-activated remote control however, and now it sounds like I can use that to record mocap animations! So, the main questions I've got are:

-Is there additional software I'll need to purchase to convert the mocap data into appropriate formats for Poser 10?
-Which version should I buy? I'm looking to capture fighting and wrestling animations mainly. The express indicates "simple" tracking, so would that be considered more complex? The main bones I want are center, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, hips, knees, and feet. I'm not concerned about facial tracking. I also plan to really just record the attacker's motions, as the "victim"'s motions will be pretty simple, so I don't think I need 2 cameras. And I only have one lol. But if the express option doesn't seem feasible, I'll invest in a second one possibly.

I'm excited about the opportunities that may come from this!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:20 am 
iPi Soft

Hi

iPi Mocap Studio exports animations in several widely supported formats, including BVH and FBX. Check out the section about exporting for Poser in our docs:
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Animation_Export#Poser

With a single Kinect (Express edition), you can capture motions which do not involve many self-occlusions. That is, an actor is primarily facing the camera. Motions with high occlusions like turnarounds will require much clean-up.
Adding a second Kinect (Basic edition) will give you an opportunity to track much wider range of motions. Because now you have 2 points of view, thus minimizing a problem with occlusions.
Anyway, you can just play with the 30-days trial version and decide yourself whether you're satisfied with the results you get with a single Kinect.

FYI, for tracking wrist rotations, PS Move (or Wii Remote) controllers are required.
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Motion_Controllers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 am 

Great! Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:02 am 

Only testing it out yourself will give you the answers you want, but you probably won't get your best results from just a test, it takes time to hone your skills...

For what you are saying you want to capture, "wrestling motions" won't be well captured by one Kinect v2, one will really only give you upright, with slight body articulation, and some bending actions tracking, but you can do more with some definite need for manual clean up, which iPi Sudio is nice, it has many helping tools that you can do it right inside the program first before exporting.

If these motions would contain complex ground actions as well, even 2 Kinects v2 will have some issues with occlusion and more manual clean up will follow, but hey, that's still better and more natural than manual keyframing an animation.

Be aware 2 Kinects v2 can only be run through 2 separate computers with the distributed recording feature inside the iPi Recorder v3 only, but the capturing quality also doubles.

Check the iPi Docs for more information on this and the Kinect v2 and processing in general.

2 Kinects v2 will get you closer to what you want though and capture the "majority" of the motions at a fairly good quality.

The Basic version will only run max of 2 Kinect v2, for 3 or 4 you would need the Pro Version, if you want that later, and would probably help with self occlusion motions incurred with just 2 Kinects v2, but remember.. 1 computer is needed for each Kinect v2 you add and those computers have to be compatible to run the Kinect v2 smoothly, with the "Master" computer being the better machine where all files will be merged and processed and should be a bit higher end model and components for best quality and processing speeds.

You will probably want to use 3 PS Move controllers, (both hands and head), as the Kinects need one attached to the head for better head tracking, or you can manually add it later, but is a bit more tedious.

There isn't much posted on the Tri or Quad Kinect v2 set ups yet, some slight tests run by iPi on youtube, but no real user tests of complex actions I have found.

The user makeamo (TrueBones) has some good tutorials using the Kinect v1, single and dual set up on youtube, but not sure he has anything listed for his Kv2 experience yet, but possibly does.

Hopefully the user Greenlaw will post some videos of his experiences with a Tri or Quad set up to share soon.

You can also still use dual Kinect v1s with iPi recorder and run both on one computer with less compatibility issues, they are dirt cheap to buy now on eBay, but you need the PC AC Adapter for each, or if you can happen to find 2 Kinect for Windows v1 versions, they have the adapter included, but they are very rare to get now at a reasonable price.

They still capture at good quality, but a bit less than the Kv2, just depends on what you are looking to get out of either choice.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]