Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: What are my best options
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:22 am 

Hello everyone, new to this forum and to the world of motion capture in general.

I have a Kinects V2 at the moment, loving it too, but I was wondering what my best options are for good and precise capture, say 2 Kinect V2, or 3-6 PS3 Eye cam?

Here is what I have to work with.

Room size is 14X16 feet, it has large windows on two sides, high up (semi basement), walls are a light beige, but I have no problem changing the color to whatever works best, this should become a permanent capture room.

Computer is a I7 2700K(4 cores) at 3.5 GHZ with plenty of ram, video card is a Geforce GTX 960.

Thanks in advance for any insight given!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:34 am 

Your room size is a bit small for PS Eyes, but can be positioned to work, though you may loose some tracking quality.

Dual Kinect v2 requires the use of 2-Kinect v2 compatible computers, (not all computers are compatible), and using the distributed recording feature in iPi Recorder 3.
(Maybe if the Kv2 OpenNI driver can be implemented by iPi, this won't be an issue in the future).

Kinects are more forgiving on setup, lighting and clothing requirements, but have limitations on frame rate and tracking quality for extreme actions, with a bit more manual clean up and use of a Move controller attached to the head for more accurate head tracking, or manually setting the head later is an option.

My preference is 5-6 PS Eyes in a specific configuration using the iPi Basic version, but many prefer the Kinects for ease of setup, use with smaller room size and less strict clothing and lighting requirements.

Both systems work fine, but PS Eyes will be able to track better, if you can get the set up positioning to work to your liking through trial and error positioning, but I know you will have to position them higher pointing down on the capture area to increase your max capture volume in that small of a room.
(Using at least one camera facing from the side will help with the depth tracking using PS Eyes).

If you don't have experience with using 2D cameras for motion capture, there will be a bit more of a learning curve with the set up, calibration and requirements needed for best results.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:17 am 

I'm a big fan of the PS3 camera setups moreso than Kinect 360. I own one Kinect V2 and adapter. Is it possible to distribute record with TWO Kinect V2 (xbox one) sensors and combine the recordings? I don't know if setup is similar to the Kinect 360 version; where you have to hold up a piece of cardboard so that the two sensors can track you better. Generally I would never use Kinect if I didn't have to, but the ease in setup is a nice feature to have if you need to shoot in a hurry. It's impossible to get a really good recording with a single camera so I'd like to know if distributed recording can work easily between TWO Kinect V2 sensors .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:40 pm 
iPi Soft

Yes, you can use distributed recording to record with multiple Kinects v2, each connected to a separate PC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47 pm 

Distributed Recording works fine for Kinect V2, as long as both PC's will support the Kinect V2.

You may need to turn off you security firewalls, or adjust them to accept the proper network connection, this depends on security software in-use on how to set it up properly.

Good Luck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]