Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:38 am 

Hey there!

I am new here and i want to try out the 6 PS Eye Setup to record some sport action. I am currently writing my master thesis for university, which is about "low budget mocap solutions". Therefore i choosed ipi Soft and went for the 6 PS Eye solution. (Please correct me already if u think i choosed wrong :D)
I feel like this setup has a lot of potential and cant wait to try it out!

I am about to order all the hardware I need (PS Eye Cameras, Tripods, Cables and such)..
Now one of my questions is, do I have enough (3) USB Ports to run 6 PS Eye cameras with 60 fps? I do have an SSD just not sure about the USB Ports. Here's a screenshot of my pc device manager: https://gyazo.com/162e809a38fe111bdfff499c450df936

think i got 2 USB2 Ports and 1 USB3 Port.. each having some more USB ports attached to them. And it says in the Guide 2 PS Eye cameras are possible on one real Port.. not 100% sure what im talkin here, but thats how i understood it so far ;)

Am I good ?

Will probably be posting a few questions in near future.. im happy to be here and super excited for my first Mocap experiences!

Fredi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:56 am 
iPi Soft

Hello

PS Eye cameras are the best option for sport, where distant and/or quick motions are involved. Be aware that it's better to capture indoors because uniform lighting is a must for reliable tracking. If you need to go outdoors for capture, prefer cloudy days or shady places to avoid direct sunlight and harsh shadows.

You are confusing USB ports and controllers. USB controller is a component of the host PC which handles external USB devices connected to the PC. USB port (a hole in the PC into which a cable is plugged) is a point of connection of external devices to a PC which is physically linked with an USB controller. Number of cameras which can be used is determined by the number of controllers and mapping between ports and controllers.

As you noted correctly, our docs state that generally one USB controller can handle 2 PS Eye cameras at 60 fps connected to any pair of its ports. From the screenshot I see you've got an Intel 8x families chipset. That means it's a combined USB 2.0/3.0 controller in a newer Intel CPUs. From our testing, such controller can handle at least 4 PS Eye cameras connected to any USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at 60 fps. But you may need an additional USB controller (PCIe card) to handle another 2 cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:24 am 

Thanks so much for the reply!
Okay I see.. will get a PCIe card then.

Much thanks :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]