Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 am 

Hi folks,
I am brand new to MoCap. I plan to start with the Basic setup using 6 PS3Eyes, but may eventually up the number of cameras if all goes well. I plan to buy a dedicated PC; I have seen the list of required specs but I wonder if anyone could suggest recent specific models of PC which fulfill the requirements? Seem like it might make most sense to get a desktop, as portability won't be an issue.
Thanks for any help!
Best
PPagan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:43 pm 

Build your own PC if possible, you will get what you want and much cheaper in the long run.

Depends on whether you favor Intel, or may want to try a new Ryzen configuration.

Get the highest end graphics card you can afford, 10 series if possible, as iPi Studio is GPU demanding with PS Eyes, especially if going to up the number of cams later, but the gains you get in fps tracking may not be worth running dual cards.

Don't go crazy on the monitor size either, 20-23 in is good, the larger the monitor and the higher the resolution the more it will draw from your graphics card to run it. 1080p works well.

Be sure you have enough USB controllers to run the amount of cams you wish to run off one machine, or you will have to bump to distributed recording using 2 machines and that may not be the route you want to go.

Add on 2 port USB 3.0 controllers are fairly cheap, but you can get dedicated chip 4 port controllers also, but cost much more.

Do you have a budget on what you want to spend on a new machine yet?

The better the machine is, the better iPi will perform in all aspects.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:43 pm 

Thanks Snapz!
I know you are right about build it yourself, but I just don't have the time. I have been looking at Alienware Aurora?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:05 pm 

Where would you be purchasing it from? and are you looking brand new, or a used model?

Which version, there are like 4 different ones of that model R6, different internals, but even the lowest cost model would handle iPi fine for up to 10 cams. (Latest models).

The 1080 Ti models would compare to the dual 1070 models for iPi, but the 1080 Ti is a beast, if you want that power, but even a single 1070 seems to stat well from another thread we discussed in the forum recently.

Thing is, for that cost ($3600), I could build 2 very nice machines that would handle iPi just fine, at least for 6-8 cams recording, maybe more cams with a little sacrifice on processing fps.

BUT, if you don't have the time, you gotta pay the extra cost to get new OEM.

I would try to get one Win 10 Pro, looks like all those come with Home version that are on NewEgg and better to get one that has an SSD. (Possibly no Pro upgrade available though).

Nice machine though it looks like, if you do go that route. The R6 latest model I am referring to.

Check this out first also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-LfjAJ0KM

You may be opting for a lower cost model of $1500-$1800? That may not handle what you want it to in the future though, just keep that in mind and it doesn't look like an easy parts upgradable machine.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]