Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 am 

So today, for the very first time, I starting thinking about using PS Eyes instead of Kinects (I currently use two Kinects, which is okay but the use of two computers for them is a PITA and very limiting in how I can set them up). This all came out because my webcam, the Logitech 922, is supported so I started asking about it.

Okay -- so here are my questions and hopefully *someone* can help (if not iPisoft themselves):

1) Can I run 4 from my Windows 10 laptop at the same time. I have plenty of USB ports, and the laptop is plenty fast for a lot of things.

2) Do I need to get drivers for these things? People on other sites (for other uses) say Windows 10 isn't supported. That would be an issue, although I still have one laptop running Win 8 which I guess I could use (it's not as good but should work okay).

3) How is the accuracy compared to two Kinects? I really like the two Kinects, all except for the pain of using two different laptops for connecting. OTOH, it's probably a bit easier to set the cameras up -- I'm thinking four PS Eyes will be a bit challenging to setup anywhere inside my house (maybe my garage, with one in each corner). You do need 13x13, right? And the inside capture space isn't any bigger than what I get with my two Kinects, right?

TIA for any insights.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:47 am 
iPi Soft

I believe you've got most of the answers in other threads. However I post here as well.
There is usually no problem connecting 4 PS Eyes to modern laptops with Intel's combined USB 2.0/3.0 controller given there are sufficient USB ports.
Drivers for PS Eyes are included with iPi Recorder installer. Just check an appropriate option when running it. Windows 10 is supported, no worries.
You can find detailed comparison of PS Eye vs depth sensors in our docs
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Multiple_Depth_Sensors_vs_Sony_PS_Eye_Comparison
Actually, you can get much bigger capture area with PS Eyes than with Kinects. Because depth sensors have limited operation range defined by a technology used while color cameras only need an actor to occupy a reasonable number of pixels in a frame. Of course, for big capture area you'll need even bigger total space for placing cameras - extended by about 2 meters in each direction.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]